PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I do not buy into the aging hype but I do feel some blends improve with some age. My question is, do you think the nicotine content rises or declines as a blend matures? Or is the nicotine content uneffected by time in the jar or tin?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I believe that a great number of factors effect the delivery of nicotine.
I had smoked some Bold Kentucky fresh and probably didn't dry long enough. It was a good smoke with a medium nic hit.
Later, I had some almost crispy bits that I accidentally processed, loaded and smoked just right and got a good wallop from it.
I've had similar experiences with a few other blends.
I have a high tolerance and rarely get nic sick. I can tell the next morning, though, because high nicotine gives me grade A twisted Hollywood movie dreams.
jay-roger.jpg

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I admit I am not an aging pro lol. But as the plant produces the leaf, and the nicotine, once the leaf is plucked maybe it produces a little more nicotine for a small time. Cellular processes do not end in a plant immediately. But I suspect it would be a minimal amount. So once picked you may be able to concentrate the existing nicotine in the leaf via various processes, but once picked the leaf stops producing everything.
I believe the preparation process is the key for nicotine. I do not believe how you store the leaf after processing does anything for nicotine.
But I am not a pro as I said. I am curious what others say about this.

I had the splendid pleasure of going to LA Poche in St James to hear the savior of perique talk, Mark Ryan. He talked a little about the effects of the fermentation process on nicotine. First, blends that you think of as low nicotine like Virginias or orientals, probably has enough nicotine in the leaf to kill you, maybe even more than burleys. But, the acidity of the smoke inhibits it from being absorbed. But, if you ate a small amount, you might die.
Also, nicotine doesn't just evaporate, it changes into other chemical compounds. Perique doesn't have any regular nicotine in it. In fact, by itself, it doesn't have much effect on people at all. But, the nicotine that was in the burley has been trans-mutated into other chemical compounds that make the nicotine in the added leaf more absorbent.

All perique is blended with Kentucky Burley, so if you smoke it straight it's the burley that you feel.
Also, in aging a blend, the same thing is happening. The nicotine is changing into other chemical compounds over time. And, just how those new chemicals affect us is a grab bag of surprises. I've had straight Virginias with 30+ years that blow my mind with how powerful they are. And, I have had macho big burleys that have turned to pussycats. I have also had the opposite happen, and it can be serendipitous to see how age has changed this chemical.
But, all in all, I think any observant tobacconist will tell you the same. There is no one rule of thumb for what happens with age. And, this is what keeps me passionate about keeping a cellar.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm trying to convince myself aging is over rated as I'm enjoying a bowl of 12 year old Lancer Slices. I've had the good fortune to purchase a fair amount of aged tobacco in the past year. For me at least, it is not over rated in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.