PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSz

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Dear Friends in smoke,

I'm visiting Chicago soon from Switzerland and would like to buy some nice tobaccos while I'm there. Can you please help me with a suggestion on a good pipeshop I can visit? I know that these questions can be very annoying, my only excuse that I'm new to the forum and also desperate to find a shop there I can visit after my working hours are over. Many thanks, and All the best from Switzerland!

Last edited by a moderator:

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I second Iwan Reis, it was the first time I had the chance to see Eltangs, Formers and other top carvers in real life. They also had a great tobacco selection. Another legendary place, but more geared towards cigars, is UpDowns.

Reactions: crawdad and PeterSz

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
PM me with the dates you will be in town and about where you are staying. I will be happy to meet up for a pipe with you at Iwan Ries or whichever shop turns out to be closest/most interesting to you.

If you're coming to Chicago this weekend, Iwan Ries is having the White Spot trunk show Friday and Saturday. If next weekend, the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club is having a social smoke at Arlington Pipe and Cigar in the northwest suburbs.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Oh, no! Time for a bout of homesickness ...

One of the things I miss most about living in Chicago is the monthly-biweekly visit to Iwan Ries. Absolutely terrific place with nice, bright folks working there ... it may be your best chance (at least in the midwest) for a true 20th century tobacconist experience. You just cannot pass up the chance!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries is on Wabash St., which is not very far from the Art Institute of Chicago and the adjacent major Millennial Park, as well as the major shopping area on State Street, so you don't have to go off into the wilderness to visit the major pipe shop in Chicago. It's all right there. There's some walking, yes, but Europeans are much less fussy about that than some U.S. citizens. Have fun!

Reactions: PeterSz
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Iwan Ries of course. While not iconic and certainly not the selection of tobacco and pipes, the Arlington Pipe shop has an excellent smoking lounge.

If you have some time to blow and a vehicle, you could drive an hour or two to Milwaukee and visit Uhles.

Reactions: PeterSz and logs

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few details -- Iwan Ries opened as a pipe shop in 1857, so it is among the oldest pipe shops in the U.S. It is at 19 S. Wabash, and importantly, it is not at street level but one flight up, so don't look for a shop window on the street. Their phone is 312 372-1306. Their pipe lounge is available for a daily fee, possibly worth it if you have about two hours or more. The used to say they had 15,000 pipes in inventory, and a huge inventory of cigars as well. Enjoy!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Chicago is a huge place. Check the Chicago locations in the directory and pick one close to where you will be. If you can do it Iwan Reis is the place to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the hotels near the airport, O'Hare, have close access to light rail that can get you downtown without traffic hang-ups. You might have to transfer, but the "L,"elevated train goes right over Wabash, though I don't know how close the station is to the pipe shop.

PeterSz

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
OMG. I’m just amazed by your kindness and opennes to help. These suggestions are very-very helpful! I received not just the perfect location but the related history, even the itinierary how to get there. Many-Many thanks !!!!!!! Any of you visiting Switzerland, I’m more than happy to give back this great support anytime!109061090710908

PeterSz

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Some of the hotels near the airport, O'Hare, have close access to light rail that can get you downtown without traffic hang-ups. You might have to transfer, but the "L,"elevated train goes right over Wabash, though I don't know how close the station is to the pipe shop.
Very useful, many-many thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.