do you smoke cigarets then how manny then the 3rd degree burns come about

the effects of smoking What do they say when you say i smoke a pipe do they

react the same

david(SCT)

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I simply don't mention that I smoke a pipe. I've heard and read all the anti-smoking nonsense and it doesn't apply to me because cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco are totally different things.
Besides, I rather like my doctor and I don't want to screw up that relationship by knowing I'm going to get lectured every time I see him. ;)

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
When I'm asked if I smoke, I say a pipe and I never had it go on, it's just dropped. :puffy:

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
The problem is the word "smoking". To most it is a definition and not an action. It means cigarettes and therefore evil. The action of smoking can be many things, pipe, cigar, hookah and of course cigarettes. The perception of a smoker is tainted by the action of inhaling all the things that are in cigarettes that give you all the ill effects of the action. Pipe "smoking" is an action not a definition, it is the act of enjoying a bowl of tobacco. I do not inhale, good grief, could you imagine inhaling a big puff of Lat? Maybe some, not this guy.
So in answer to your question, I do not smoke. :)

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
3 outa 4 of my docs know and approve of my pipe smoking.
it helps keep my blood pressure down and not focus on my pain. for me, it works way better than medical mj.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
My Doctor has been aware that I have smoked a pipe for years, he was a member of my Cycling club and I used to hammer him in races, the first thing I did when I finished a race was light up my pipe, he has seen me through 3 operations on my spine, but he still says I look fitter than him.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I don't acknowledge that I smoke anything when asked by these people. It's none of their business,unless I want it to be, and I don't give them any ammunition. A lot of these health care people are really nuts about a lot of things. For instance, where my wife works they have an annual "health fair" before they sign up for the next year's benefits. Unless you participate, you are denied additional benefit dollars towards the payment of your insurance. On the questionaire, one of her co-workers answered that she consumed 3 alcoholic drinks per week, and was told that she "needs to attend AA".

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
3 a week? Where the fun it that? Should be more like 10.
An old bandmate of mine calmly told his doctor once that he drank about 40 beers a week, and the guy almost fell out of his chair. But yeah I agree, if you had one or two a day, it would average out to around 10, so that seems in the normal range to me. One point my wife brought up; do these people realize that at one time it was not uncommon to consume an alcoholic drink (wine) with every meal?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
do these people realize that at one time it was not uncommon to consume an alcoholic drink (wine) with every meal?
Depending on where you live, it still is the norm. I was blown away my first trip to France; a 350ml bottle of water, juice or pop ran around $6 CAD, while a 750ml bottle of good wine ran less than $3.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
What my Doctor told me. ( At major allergy clinic in Houston.)
"I am supposed to tell you to quit smoking but I will tell you this. You are not going to have much fun for the rest of your life because you are extremely allergic to almost everything that grows in Texas. I will tell you this, I have been treating extremely allergic people, just like you here in Houston for over 35 years and I have NEVER lost a patient to cancer. Extreme allergy is due to your immune system working overtime. A cancer cell does not stand a chance in your body."
and NO I do not know how to give you the condition.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
My family sees a doctor who is much more complimentary in approach and the normal assault from typical doctors of western medicine does not exist.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
It is assumed that when they ask if you smoke, it is cigarettes, so I answer no, as there is no inhalation of the 499 chemicals as there is in cigarettes

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Nathaniel - :rofl:
drsam and marty - I'm in your boat. I have lupus and everything sets off a flare. Tobacco helps out and all their fancy drugs don't. I asked my doctor once what I could do to stop the rashes and he said "take about 100 to 125 mg of Benadryl and a Zyrtec. Then I wouldn't even notice the flare because I'd be laying in the floor unconscious.
I just don't trust doctors much anymore. I have a heart problem that may or may not be related to the lupus. The cardiologists say "your heart muscle is in perfect condition, it's auto-immune." The rheumatologists say "cardiologists are just plumbers. They don't know what they're talking about." The neurologists say "nerves do all sorts of weird things..." Now I just see my DO if I need antibiotics for something and to keep supplied on my daily meds/pain meds. Bah!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I get the same reaction from my doctors as Ace57. They ask if I smoke and I respond with "I smoke a pipe", they always kind of shake their head and dismiss the issue. The dentist tells me it will stain my teeth but that's about it. I rarely go to the doctor or the dentist anyways ha ha ha.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I went to an audiologist about my tinnitus.

He asked if I smoked, and told him I smoke a pipe.

He said: "Then we don't have to worry about nicotine."

Status
Not open for further replies.