PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
@sablebrush52 wrote:

“…For optimal results I recommend smoking them as slowly as you can, sipping just enough to keep the blend barely simmering, at the edge of going out.”

To me, this advice is far more important than any pipe-specific details at this point in your journey. Some blends—and I shared his experience with Hal o’ the Wynd—will only reveal themselves with very slow puffing. For me, HOTW went from being just an okay flake to something wonderfully delicious once I discovered just how slowly I needed to smoke it.

Not all Virginias are the same… actually, I find them all to be distinctly different from company to company, blend to blend. Some I prefer in tall conical shaped chambers, some I prefer in wide pots. VaPers with significant perique get smoked in pots.

Really experience is going to be your best guide, and obviously by some posts here, you may find that the pipe makes no difference for you, as others have found.

For me, when a Virginia tends to be bitey, I smoke them in wider pipe chambers. Maybe getting more air, or just more smoke dilutes some of that acidity, unless your bite is coming from moisture causing steam. In which, just dry that leaf out really well.

But, a good light cured brightleaf like Canadian gold or Ukrainian, dried to crunchy, I prefer in a talp narrow chamber.

But, even with my own guidelines, I will try a blend in a chamber with different specs just to shake it up a bit. However, this usually just reaffirms my own original guidelines.

Some will say that chamber size makes no difference. But, I like to keep a range from .6” wide to 1” wide bowls, some just as deep as wide, and some with stacked double deep as wide, to toppers that are very tall which is especially useful on long car rides. I do find significant chamber dimensions to give me different flavor profiles.

But, all in all, if you’re just smoking once or twice a day, honestly youre not going to really start to find differences in nuances that different pipe dimensions will give. Or at least, it will take a much longer time to develop that sort of palate.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Title edited for caps, spelling and meaning.

Original: Virginias, witch pipe?

Hi, I was wondering if it is less classy for me to smoke Virginian tobacco on any pipe? Is it better for the pipe to be thick walls or thin walls or what? Thanks
I tend to base my pipe choice on what type of cut - usually going for taller deeper bowls for flake - since it works well with my fold and stuff method.
As to Virginias, I prefer to smoke them in flake - I find they burn cooler.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Samuel Perez read the article, ‘The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking’, by Dr. Fred Hanna.

This will help you understand some things with pipes.

What you smoke, in what pipe is only a personal preference, of the pipes you’ve smoked and experienced, to make that decision for yourself.

Everyone can tell you various things, but in the end, you’re just going to need to smoke various pipes and experiment.

Have fun... :)

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
I've always been told pokers for VA heavy blends.
VA smokes hot so a tall skinny pipe keeps it a bit cooler.
That's the theory at least.
Just repurposed a Stanwell 54 billiard because my VAs were performing lusciously in a simple cob--most similar bowl dimensions amongst my briars. Otherwise, I generally believe the pipe responds to the smoker. Some will get better results from larger or smaller pipes of varying drafts because their cadence or volume or pace differs, as well as difference in palate. There are a number of variables and no tried and true for every smoker but patience and cadence. Don't smoke hot and the flavor will come. Milage may vary.

Reactions: fireground_piper

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Title edited for caps, spelling and meaning.

Original: Virginias, witch pipe?

Hi, I was wondering if it is less classy for me to smoke Virginian tobacco on any pipe? Is it better for the pipe to be thick walls or thin walls or what? Thanks
You just bought the new pipe and the stuff which is great. Just use it!

Nobody that sees you smoking your pipe would have any idea you have a (straight, I assume) Virginia in the bowl anyway (and it's not like you are running about with a cob (KIDDING!). Looked like you picked up a couple of aromatics - fire em' up! If you pick up some Virginia, it will work fine in your pipe.