PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockynrobyn

Lurker
Jun 26, 2018
Hi everyone, can someone please recommend a straight Virgina that has a medium to high nicotine hit?

Thanks

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Any of the ropes/twists of SG/GH such as Brown no 4 or Black xx are among the highest nic pipe tobaccos and they are all made of Virginia.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't know of a straight virginia with a high nic hit other than Royal Yacht, which is currently out of production.

Of the straight virginias in my rotation, I guess FVF has the most nicotine and I would rate it at about medium.

Edit: I tried a small sample of Bad Nun once. It is a straight virginia with a lot of nicotine, maybe up there with Royal Yacht and Irish Flake. I liked it very much, but it is difficult for me to get my hands on. It is distributed by Synjeco and produced, I think, by Gawith & Hoggarth.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
64alex +1, but op, hold on to your breeches those are some darn strong tobaccos.

If you are looking for an American straight Virginia with a little more stregnth than FVF, try some of Daughters Ryan’s Virginias, maybe Three Sails or Windsail Or, C&D has a Virginia Flake in bulk that tops the medium catagory in bulks. Their Briar Fox is also a smidge stronger, but it has burley blended in for a balanced flavor.

You’ll have to turn to ropes for stronger, but those Empire Virginia won’t have a traditional Virginia flavor like you may be thinking of.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
1 one for Cosmic,Yes those so-called Empire Virginas differ quite a much from Regular bright Virginias,that's for sure, moreover I happen to have soft spot' for majority of British Otc blends which tend to be Virgina forwards, and all these are far from being light in taste nor they are bright in color,as I understand many of them do have some dark fired Kentucky leaf as condiment.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
G&H ropes, Brown Twist Sliced if you don't like preparing ropes. Get a good fish filleting knife if you've not tried it, you can slice consistent 1/16" coins out of ropes and rub them out. Their flavored ropes are mildly seasoned, so the Rum or Maple varieties would probably be considered lightly flavored. (I would say very lightly). Brown Irish X might be a good choice for no flavor added.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Sorry, I meant Rattray's. I bought some Wessex Classic Virginia yesterday and was thinking of that when I typed. Hopefully I'm not going senile quite yet. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Brown rope tastes distinctly like a VA but black anything but. Nic wallop in both. Even after smoking both for years enjoyably I was still scared of them, which tarnished the experience.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
C&D Small Batch Carolina Red Flake, unfortunately, they produced 8,000 tins a few weeks back and it lasted less than 24 hours online. Anyway, keep your eyes open for it next time. Some say the nic content is moderate, to me it's more than just moderate. It's pretty much straight out of the fields, so it's got some bite and probably could use some ageing...anyway, keep your eyes out for it next time.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
GH&Co. Dark Birdseye is a worthy candidate for a medium/full Virginia.
Almost a shag cut allowing for a great burn along with an excellent full bodied taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.