PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I am looking for recommendations. I want to find a blend or two that have a base of Virginias with some Orientals, but NO Latakia. I like the other Orientals, especially Izmir. A Virginia blend with a bit of spice / inscence. Anyone?

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
C&D Sunday picnic is Va and izmir and is a favorite of mine. I stocked up quite a bit. And pack up a big pipe full of it it has decent strength to boot. A very good smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting question. I much enjoy Latakia and Perique, but I don't like that they seem to be measured into so many blends to the exclusion of others. GLP and C&D do creative things besides their Lat and Per blends.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have smoked Embarcadero and enjoy it. I'd like to find more! I thought C&D's forte was Burley. Are the Virginias any good?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Ive been hooked on Pease Cairo for a while now..
On a related note.. I was thinking at last weeks pipe club meeting. How great would Penzance be without the Latakia?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
GL Pease Temple Bar
If you don't mind a little Perique, then also:
GL Pease Regent's Flake

Ashton Pebblecut (out of production?)

NY Pipe Club Bedloe's Island

C&D Sunday Picnic, Guilford Courthouse

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I smoke VA/Oriental blends all the time, but usually I just mix up my favorite VA flake with a pinch of Orientals and a smidge of Perique. Those ingredients work so well together, it's really hard to get it wrong.
A number of blenders sell Orientals for blending, either as a mixture of varietals or as single varietals -- they're all different, but any of them work well. Izmir is particularly good with VA and Perique, but so are others.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
This list is fairly correct.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Contents=Oriental%2FTurkish%2CVirginia&ContentsEx=Latakia

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This one is just weird:

STG "Clan Aromatic"
Blend Type Aromatic

Contents Black Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia

Lots of bad reviews, not exactly in the classification of a VA/Oriental.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I second (or third) Embarcadero. I had a tin with about 6 months age on it and really like it.
I have some Cairo that I smoked a bowl of then put away. It was good but dont want to judge off one bowl.
I have also not tried it yet, but I heard Brunello Flake is top notch.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Peretti Tashkent is an excellent Oriental. It is one of the few which has only orientals but you can blend with VA blends if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.