PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abridgedpause

Lurker
Jan 9, 2018
Canada
I am a Virginia and Aromatic pipe smoker. For the most part, I have been smoking from the afternoon on. Lately, however, I have been interested in trying out a bowl in morning. I am looking for something to smoke during my morning walks, not necessarily to pair up with a morning beverage. I wake up and go right out the door, so this would be something to smoke before I sit down with a morning beverage.

Most of the replies that I have read in other threads and forums point to English, Burley, Oriental, Perique or Latakia blends, and most of those replies relate to pairing it up with coffee. So they have not been helpful to me.

I would ideally like to find a Virginia or Aromatic blend that you guys have appreciated in the morning. I am not opposed to trying out an English blend, but I am really not interested in anything with Burley. As for Oriental, Perique or Latakia, those components are mostly unfamiliar to me so I would not want them to be overly present. I would prefer to stick close to familiar territories around Virginia.

I am looking for something that is medium in flavour and low on the nicotine hit.

Reactions: danimalia and edger

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am a Virginia and Aromatic pipe smoker. For the most part, I have been smoking from the afternoon on. Lately, however, I have been interested in trying out a bowl in morning. I am looking for something to smoke during my morning walks, not necessarily to pair up with a morning beverage. I wake up and go right out the door, so this would be something to smoke before I sit down with a morning beverage.

Most of the replies that I have read in other threads and forums point to English, Burley, Oriental, Perique or Latakia blends, and most of those replies relate to pairing it up with coffee. So they have not been helpful to me.

I would ideally like to find a Virginia or Aromatic blend that you guys have appreciated in the morning. I am not opposed to trying out an English blend, but I am really not interested in anything with Burley. As for Oriental, Perique or Latakia, those components are mostly unfamiliar to me so I would not want them to be overly present.

I am looking for something that is medium in flavour and low on the nicotine hit.
Newminster Superior Navy Flake

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I tend to like the Virginia/VaPer morning bowls besides my English blends. The ones that I usually grab are the PS Twist, Navy or Bullseye.
I heartily second your opinion. Available in bulk at reasonable prices. One caveat would be that virginias like to be sipped or tongue bite will rear it's head. Smoking and walking might make that difficult!

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I really enjoy Mac Baren Virginia no. 1, which has already been mentioned here. It's really sweet, and has a tasty honey topping that is great for the morning. It improves with age, but I don't really intentionally age it. I buy the 1lb bags and divide it up into small jars. Some incidental and uninterrupted aging happens this way. Plus it's not expensive at all.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
In terms of straight VAs, HH Pure VA and Union Square are good choices. Theyre tasty, easy to find and easy to work with for flakes. FVF, of course, though it can be a pain in the ass to work with so it might not be ideal on the go. I had a bowl of Wessex Campaign Dark Flake I really enjoyed last night though it may not be easy to find.

As mentioned, Orlik Golden Sliced and the Stokkebye/Newminster flakes are great and super easy to find and affordable.

Reactions: dcon and edger

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina

I would ideally like to find a Virginia or Aromatic blend that you guys have appreciated in the morning. I am not opposed to trying out an English blend, but I am really not interested in anything with Burley. As for Oriental, Perique or Latakia, those components are mostly unfamiliar to me so I would not want them to be overly present. I would prefer to stick close to familiar territories around Virginia.

Without reading past your post, I will suggest Boswell's Chocolate Cream if you like chocolate. Another anytime kind of smoke for me is BCA.
Autumn Evening and Country Squires Second Breakfast may be worth a try as well.

Happy piping!

Cotton1

Reactions: danimalia

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Rattray’s Old Gowrie or Marlin Flake
WO Larsen Signature
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Just a few blends that are lower in nicotine and taste great (IMO).
Ol Growrie and Hal O The Wind are ones I want to try. Availability seems scarce right now.
I am planning to order again in December and hope I can find these blends available somewhere.

Reactions: edger and Papamique

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I think founding fathers hits that note or maybe Sail. Depending on what you are looking for neither is terribly strong in flavor or nic. Both are kind of mellow though the Founding Fathers by C&D has a slightly sharper taste but it's great for waking up ones palate. Sail is pretty much a cavandish blend but is slightly sweet and not too complex either. I think there are probably going to be a million more great suggestions here, just go with a few that grab your attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.