PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Virginia Gold is a line of value priced premium pipe tobaccos sold online or in drug stores for about ten dollars for a nine ounce bag.

The Cherry Cavendish version says on the package Made in Denmark by Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

This is a delicious, slow burning blend of cherry flavored burleys and Virginias, with a bit more tobacco flavor than sugary cherry syrup flavorings than most of the dollar and then some an ounce value premium pipe tobaccos it competes with. I can taste nutty burleys with some citrus and hay flavor of Virginia tobaccos, and cherry liqueur.

This should be a staple blend for anyone trying to build a stock of tobaccos. I use empty peanut jars for canisters and use blue painter’s tape (removable) to identify the blend and when I put it up.

For ten bucks you’ve covered cherry cavendish blends.

This is premium, high quality, imported Lane cherry cavendish tobacco. It’s not as expensive as if the blend came in a fancy little tin can, is the largest difference.

8E3CF461-B5CD-4FB9-BED2-9554D532EC8C.jpeg32895378-0C96-4EBA-9E28-65E2A7345E33.jpegE22FC2CE-F664-42A4-856C-2846AEF4049D.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So you're saying the one problem with it is the Cherry part. Nah just teasing because I have never liked any cherry tobacco. Just doesn't work for me. Vanilla is a yes, Mango yes, lemon oh yes, any citrus yes, many other flavors oh yes, cherry nope. Heck I even like when it's just called fruit and it's something generic and fruit like.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
So you're saying the one problem with it is the Cherry part. Nah just teasing because I have never liked any cherry tobacco. Just doesn't work for me. Vanilla is a yes, Mango yes, lemon oh yes, any citrus yes, many other flavors oh yes, cherry nope. Heck I even like when it's just called fruit and it's something generic and fruit like.
I’ve never met a blend I didn’t like, except Velvet became so hot and bitey about twenty years ago I tossed a full 14 ounce can.

Now that Scandinavian Tobacco Group has rescued Velvet even that is back to being delicious, maple sugar flavored tobacco.

Burley tobacco at auction sells for about two dollars a pound, and there is no longer a market for bad lead.

When a blend says cavendish it’s maybe sixty per cent tobacco, twenty per cent water, and the rest sweeteners and flavorings and alcohol.

There’s a lot of profit made selling $18 a pound tobacco. There’s also more than one maker selling it, so the product must be good.

Put the cheap aromatics in a leather pouch and you have a wonderfully fragrant, good tasting, all day smoke.

There is no bad pipe tobacco sold today.

For English, Va Per, and Virginia blends price matters, and generally you get what you pay for.

For the all day aromatics there’s not really much difference between brands or price.

You get a choice of natural, vanilla, black cavendish, whiskey, cherry, peach or all the flavors of the candy store.

Virginia Gold seems to have a bit more nicotine than most, which is fine by me.

A $49 a pound tax would kill off the cheap stuff, so get your stash laid by while they are cheap.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
I finished a pouch of this really fast when I first started pipe smoking. It didn’t bite me at all and thats when I was learning to smoke. It is good stuff for what it is for sure! I may pick up another pouch now!

The best Cherry i’ve tried is GH American Cherry Vanilla.

(Edit)
After checking, I now see the pouches of Virginia Gold are no longer available.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ve never met a blend I didn’t like, except Velvet became so hot and bitey about twenty years ago I tossed a full 14 ounce can.

Now that Scandinavian Tobacco Group has rescued Velvet even that is back to being delicious, maple sugar flavored tobacco.

Burley tobacco at auction sells for about two dollars a pound, and there is no longer a market for bad lead.

When a blend says cavendish it’s maybe sixty per cent tobacco, twenty per cent water, and the rest sweeteners and flavorings and alcohol.

There’s a lot of profit made selling $18 a pound tobacco. There’s also more than one maker selling it, so the product must be good.

Put the cheap aromatics in a leather pouch and you have a wonderfully fragrant, good tasting, all day smoke.

There is no bad pipe tobacco sold today.

For English, Va Per, and Virginia blends price matters, and generally you get what you pay for.

For the all day aromatics there’s not really much difference between brands or price.

You get a choice of natural, vanilla, black cavendish, whiskey, cherry, peach or all the flavors of the candy store.

Virginia Gold seems to have a bit more nicotine than most, which is fine by me.

A $49 a pound tax would kill off the cheap stuff, so get your stash laid by while they are cheap.
I generally agree. For one if it's bad it's not really tobacco ;) like bugler rolling tobacco that stuff is horrid. I really think it's shredded grocery bags that had tobacco sitting in them at one point.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Until the government shuts down the party, pipe smokers are living in a golden age.

Do you smoke all day, every loving day, like I do?

Truth be told, you could pick out two pounds a month of those cheap bagged RYO blends, which one doesn’t matter much, and smoke for five bucks a week.

Those same two pounds will roll up at least a carton of cigarettes a week, and good cigarettes at that.

The corner convenience store carries a new brand of ultra cheap cigarettes named 24/7 at $2 a pack. $1 of that is federal tax and they add 17 cents for Missouri tax, plus a 9% sales tax and it’s still about $25 a carton. That is five times what a good RYO cigarette costs.

My own native America makes the very best sinful, decadent things on earth and makes them cheap.

Our candy bars, our soda pop, our cheap bourbon, our cheap guns, our cheap wine, even our cheap gasoline and cheap used cars, are all good ones.

I own a twenty year old one ton Dually Dodge diesel flatbed that will pull my twenty five year old 34 foot fifth wheel travel trailer 80 miles an hour for a thousand miles a day. The truck is worth about ten thousand and the trailer about the same.

And whatever the fuel costs it’s the cheapest in any nation with a high standard of living.

Would you like to smoke the best aromatic pipe tobaccos on earth?

Ten dollars buys any flavor of the value priced premium aromatic pipe tobaccos, all real pipe pipe tobaccos that make lousy cigarettes, in a half pound bag.

And while you are online, there are countless choices of little cans of the flat out best Latakia and Virginia and Perique blends on this planet for sale for about $10 or $11 a little can. You’ll feel like you’re commanding a black pirate frigate on the bounding main, or patrolling haunted bookshops in Olde London Towne reading every little can.

America still even has the best hillbilly music on earth to play while you smoke all your internet purchased treasures.

Nof all old time hillbilly artists are dead, we still make new ones every day.

Smoke it while you got it!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Have you gotten the Virginia Gold Vanilla yet? I think you would really love it. One of my favorites.
I’ve not ordered the other Virginia Gold varieties except Black and Gold and Cherry, but it’s all made by Lane.

I have bags of Smoker’s Pride Vanilla, Black Cavendish, Cherry, and Natural.

I don’t have to sample the other flavors of Virginia Gold because I trust Lane.

If the package says Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Georgia it’s good stuff.

And the same goes for anything made by their competitor Sutliff.

Here’s what our stone, cold enemies of our pipes say at the National Center for Health Research:

Smoking pipe tobacco has been around for centuries. Pipe smoking typically consists of loose leaf tobacco that is fire-cured and burned in a traditional smoking pipe with a bowl and mouthpiece. Although pipe smoking has dwindled over the years, the proportion of regular users varies by state and ranges from 3% to 13%.1 More surprising, 1.4% of high school students nationwide currently smoke a pipe.

——

When Big Tobacco owned all the major drug store pipe blends they let them decline in quality, shrunk the cans, and raised prices to deter RYO users.

The smaller tobacco companies still left making our tobacco have forgotten how to make bad pipe tobacco, if they ever did.

The tax is $2.83 a pound, which for the value priced brands is probably the largest cost, more than the leaf.

I’d guess those 1.4% of high school kids who smoke a pipe, are college bound.

There are fewer pipe lovers today, but I’m saying we love our pipes more than years ago, and we have better pipe tobacco today to love.

Somebody always carries on traditions like smoking a pipe, or good Moon Mullican tunes:

I’LL SAIL MY SHIP ALONE

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cherry flavoring in pipe tobacco tickles my gag reflex a little, but I take your other point, that most bag tobacco is good to excellent quality. I have several bag blends that I enjoy, though they use a lot of jars, and I don't smoke fast or very much quantity. And finally, without any politics under discussion, any campaign could use you to pitch their optimism segment. Go team go. I like OHM and D&R a lot.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Cherry flavoring in pipe tobacco tickles my gag reflex a little, but I take your other point, that most bag tobacco is good to excellent quality. I have several bag blends that I enjoy, though they use a lot of jars, and I don't smoke fast or very much quantity. And finally, without any politics under discussion, any campaign could use you to pitch their optimism segment. Go team go. I like OHM and D&R a lot.
To paraphrase a famous ball player, you can’t say a good word about Cherry Cavendish without somebody saying you’re knocking Vanilla.:)

If I was king of the world all ice cream cones would be chocolate.

But we get lots of choices of flavors of our ice cream and drug store blends of tobaccos.

What makes this such a golden age of the pipe, is cheap tobacco.

I’m sorta sitting here, just a listening to Moon Mullican smoking a pipeful of London Mixture circa 2017. I can buy all I want of that or about a hundred other fancy little 50 gram or 2 ounce cans online for something between $10 and $15 a little can.

Take your pick of flavors, good aromatic pipe shop blend tobacco is about $32 a pound for any of at least a hundred bulk blends, and perfectly delicious value brands about half that.

I can smoke the cheapest cigarettes for $25 a carton and the very best for $75, American Spirits.

But thanks to a $2.83 a pound tax I can buy a half pound of value aromatics and a little can of fancy stuff each week for $20 to $25 and smoke like a king.

I WAS SORTA A WONDERIN’

I hope they don’t tax those vape cartridges, at all.

But if they do more young people will wander over to pick up the pipe.

Next to coffee, pipe smoking is the cheapest vice under the sun.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think that's true. I was around and sentient in the 1950's when pipe smoking was far more general than it is today. I'd meet my dad at the train and many men in narrow brim fedoras would be puffing on their leather wrapped meerschaum lined apple shaped pipes getting off the train, and my dad could buy a quality assortment of OTC tobaccos in the newsstand in his office building. But comparatively, both the selection of pipe tobacco and the availability of a selection of pipes was limited compared to today. So this is indeed a golden age of pipe smoking, despite the far smaller demographic, and the dark clouds gathering around deeming regulations and taxes. These are the days, my friends.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I finished a pouch of this really fast when I first started pipe smoking. It didn’t bite me at all and thats when I was learning to smoke. It is good stuff for what it is for sure! I may pick up another pouch now!

The best Cherry i’ve tried is GH American Cherry Vanilla.

(Edit)
After checking, I now see the pouches of Virginia Gold are no longer available.
@Piping Abe The GH Cherry Vanilla is my favourite pipe baccy; I like smoking it in the clay pipe at living history re-enactments!