PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Have you started smoking yet by the way?
No, not started. Still researching to the nth degree.

I thought these two flakes would have been similar, but clearly not from the responses here. So I take it they taste different? Like Yorkshire teabags taste different from Tetley teabags.

Is one better than the other? I suppose each have their followers.

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Is Samuel Gawith Best brown flake and Peterson flake pretty much the same thing?
Peterson Flake is mostly composed of Lemon and Bronze Virginias, as where Best Brown seems to have darker Virginia leaves in it, probably partly stoved.
The flavor profiles of both will therefore be different.
Personally, I prefer Peterson's to SG, especially when it has aged some number of years.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
No, not started. Still researching to the nth degree.

I thought these two flakes would have been similar, but clearly not from the responses here. So I take it they taste different? Like Yorkshire teabags taste different from Tetley teabags.

Is one better than the other? I suppose each have their followers.
The term "better" implies some objective standard, instead of all of this being totally subjective.

I like them both. They were the first two flakes I smoked, back when Murray was still tinning Dunhill, and it was easy to grab a couple of tins of BBF off the shelf at my local B&M - one to smoke now, one to set aside for aging.
My Murray tins are long gone, but I have tins of both of these fine flakes that are from the fall of 2012, before the panic buying and hoarding started.