Reactions: dcon and dmcmtk

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
My favorite VAPER is Esoterica Dunbar. (hard to find) Then, in order:
GL Pease Telegraph Hill
Rattray Old Gowrie
Peretti's Park Square
Esoterica Dorchester (also hard to find)

My favorite VA is Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake, then:
GL Pease Union Square
C & D Carolina Red VA Small Batch
C & D Opening Night
Sutliff Red Virginia Crumble Kake
Watch City Simply Red

Reactions: dcon and dmcmtk

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
If your going to spend $100+ on samples then I'd recommend hunting down a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer (red lable) or 40th Anniversary (blue) or one of the Mature Virginias (brown) 22, 24, 25 or 27. It'll cost you $60-70 for 100g tin but it'll take 500 hours to get through what's on your order list. It's an extra dollar or two to sit down with a McClelland blend for an hour and a half. If you've got more money than time for smoking then you'd be missing out if you didn't try some McClelland blends.

Reactions: logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
If your going to spend $100+ on samples then I'd recommend hunting down a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer (red lable) or 40th Anniversary (blue) or one of the Mature Virginias (brown) 22, 24, 25 or 27. It'll cost you $60-70 for 100g tin but it'll take 500 hours to get through what's on your order list. It's an extra dollar or two to sit down with a McClelland blend for an hour and a half. If you've got more money than time for smoking then you'd be missing out if you didn't try some McClelland blends.

Same goes for Syrian blends.

Reactions: jzbdano

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I don't think anyone has mentioned Sutliff Matured Red 515RC-1. It's a tangy red that has a strong vinegar and fruit kick. Also DTM Hamborger Veermaster is another deliciously tangy flake. Other good ones are Sutliff 707 Sweet VA, MacBaren HH Pure VA, Dunhill Ready Rubbed, Royal Yacht, Orlik Golden Sliced, SG Golden Glow... If you're really feeling adventurous, dip a toe in the Lakeland and try some Grousemoor!

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
All those cute tins. When they're empty you can line em up high on your kitchen wall with your wife's tchotchkes, or take em out back and use em for target practice.
But if you don't need the cute tins, there is always Peretti's Park Square. Just sayin'.........

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
Union Square, Opening Night, C&D Virginia Flake, D&R various virginias and Mac Baren Pure Virginia. Can't beat those for a truly straight virginia. The other offerings like Dunhill flake, Capstan Blue, and various from Solani, Samuel Gawith, Mac Baren, STG, K&K etc. are very good too if you like the addition of plum juice, apple juice, honey, rum, maple syrup, sugar syrups and whatever else is on them.

Cdtakacs1

Lurker
Feb 29, 2020
All those cute tins. When they're empty you can line em up high on your kitchen wall with your wife's tchotchkes, or take em out back and use em for target practice.
But if you don't need the cute tins, there is always Peretti's Park Square. Just sayin'.........

Hi sir! Not sure how to take your comment. Are you saying buying tins are not necessary and one should only stick to bulk tobacco where it can be purchased by the oz? Unfortunately, some of the brands are only sold in tins :-|

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The only thing I'd add is that Solani 633 is excellent, if you can imagine it sweeter, with less hay, you get Peterson De Luxe Navy Rolls, the tobacco that made me a VaPer lover from the first coin.

On that line, and because of how much I liked DLNRs, I ordered a good batch of St Bernard flake, which according to JimInks "it's a bolder, sweeter, spicier, rougher version of Dunhill Navy Rolls" - basically sounds like it's ticking every box I'd tick if I would change something in DLNRs! Will receive probably next week, and try it asap.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Don’t overlook Match Victorian, I did for years but I finally tried it and fell in love with the stuff, it’s delicious and funky!

Dunbar is a favorite of mine but obviously hard to find

DTM Salty Dogs (Mmmmm!)

HU Directors Cut (every serious piper should give this a whirl *not strictly a VaPer though*)

SG Cabbies Mixture

Amphora VA is fantastic and inexpensive.

Reiner’s Long Golden Flake
SG St. James Flake (maybe my all time favorite VaPer)
Escudo
C&D Bayou Morning (would list the XX Flakes but think they are history by now)
Orlik Golden Slice (started out on this one and I still love it to this day, great warm weather smoke, as are most if not all of these)

I could go on and on but these are the ones I smoke pretty regularly, I’m sure there are some redundant blends on this list, I didn’t read through this thread before posting this.