PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hanbanan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
I just bout a thorneycroft imported matched grain collectors set at an antique store . I don’t know what to date it back to , have no idea if it’s actually worth any money , and I haven’t been able to find it anywhere online . Anyone know anything about this ? image.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I just bout a thorneycroft imported matched grain collectors set at an antique store . I don’t know what to date it back to , have no idea if it’s actually worth any money , and I haven’t been able to find it anywhere online . Anyone know anything about this ? View attachment 149204
Lovely set. Looks to be unsmoked too. Excellent find.

Thorneycroft is a BBB (Blumfield's Best Briars, later renamed Britain's Best Briars) line.

Look up BBB pipes in Pipedia.

If you go into the advanced search function on EBay, you will find what Thorneycroft pipes are fetching. An unused set will be worth more than the sum of 7 individual pipes.

Last edited:

Hanbanan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022

Thorneycroft is a BBB (Blumfield's Best Briars, later renamed Britain's Best Briars) line.

If you go into the advanced search function on EBay, you will find what Thorneycroft pipes are fetching. An unused set will be worth more than the sum of 7 individual pipes.
i bought them and they have in fact been unused but the handle also says France on them and thorneycroft is engraved in them too but looks like it was hand carved in

Reactions: dunnyboy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The briar pipe industry started in France and spread to England.

A lot of English pipe shapes have French origins.

Many "Made In England" pipes were, in fact, French made and, imported into England to be "finished"

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I'm surprised more pipe-makers don't produce seven-day sets. They give the carver an opportunity to display their skill. And as already mentioned, large sets can be specially cased and sold for more that the price of the individual pipes. This is a particularly beautiful example. Nice pick-up.

Hanbanan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022

I ended up being able to find a few sets that were sold several years ago some not even a complete set and they had been smoked going for about 100-160$ I still haven’t been able to figure out what to date my set back to yet though

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
Check pipepedia, you can find there when they started with models/series, or read this:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since they're a gift, I think your dad would probably smoke them, to be a full recipient of the gift. Just tell him that the box is part of their value, so he'll keep the set together, which he'd probably do anyway. That's a heck of a catch and a major gift. What a great Father's Day present.

Today is my father's 105th birthday, though he died in 2006 at age 89, as I like to say, licensed to drive without glasses.

Hanbanan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
From what I got from the link was that I could date it back to the 50s-60s ; thank you!
Check pipepedia, you can find there when they started with models/series, or read this:

https://rebornpipes.com/2012/08/05/.../2012/08/05/history-of-bbb-pipes/amp/[/QUOTE]

Reactions: OzPiper

Hanbanan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
Since they're a gift, I think your dad would probably smoke them, to be a full recipient of the gift. Just tell him that the box is part of their value, so he'll keep the set together, which he'd probably do anyway. That's a heck of a catch and a major gift. What a great Father's Day present.

Today is my father's 105th birthday, though he died in 2006 at age 89, as I like to say, licensed to drive without glasses.
I hope he enjoys them and i can bet he will smoke them , happy heavenly birthday to your father !