PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
Porsche_Design_Pfeife_smoking_pipe.jpg

Anybody know where can I get me one of these?? I'm not talking about the new ones, I means the vintage ones, and also your thoughts on this kind of pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone recognize the part? A piece of the turbo? Do Porche pipes, the regular briar kind, have anything

to do with the car manufacturer?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
That's the engine from an RC car missing the piston & head, the exhaust manifold, and carburetor..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good eye, johnnyreb. The scale threw me off. I kept trying to put it on a Porche and couldn't visualize the

scale. Now I see the picture, a little.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I think I would still have two or three of those engines complete along with radios & servos, wheels & tires and maybe a chassis from when my son was growing up and we built & raced them together. All that stuff would be out in my shop in a tool box we used to use with that stuff. I know right where the starter box is but I might have to look a little bit for the tool box. But that's what that is. It was probably put together as a joke for the picture and not to be used as a real pipe.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Johnyreb how can you tell that's an RC car engine and not an RC aircraft engine? I've owned dozens of those and I can't tell. It's not very big, a 15 at the largest I'd say. That's a common car size but not a slam dunk for it being a car engine. It doesn't have a head on it which would be a dead giveaway.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Darwin, I guess I'm missing the importance of your question. As everyone knows Porsche is a German automobile company known for their highly engineered, high-performance, high quality cars. They have turned the Porsche name into a brand to be licensed and used on other high quality products. On the other hand Porsche Design Smoking Accessories is a Dutch company who happens to make uniquely designed & engineered smoking pipes. Maybe blackhat84 can tell us where he found this picture but it is obviously meant to poke fun at the design & engineering aspects of both those companies. Had someone licensed the names of Chief Aircraft or Rolls Royce to make smoking pipes I would have instantly thought of RC aircraft & aircraft engines when looking at the picture.
Never the less, in the spirit of making everyone happy let me edit my OP. Since I can no longer do it above I will do it by copy & paste here:
"That's the engine from an RC AIRCRAFT or car missing the piston & head, the exhaust manifold, and carburetor."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm curious as to the origin of the E stamped p-lip stem.

I assumed someone cobbled up as a goof on a steam-punk pipe, but these days, sometimes the makers are serious. I believe fans of this genre might carry something like this around as an affection or prop of sorts (which makes little sense to me).

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
If this was meant to be a serious pipe it would have problems with the draw; it would be as big as a series #5 or #6 freehand; it would be heavier than Briar; and it would be hot to hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.