PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Some days all the stars align and things just go swimmingly! Yesterday was such a day, and the crowning glory of a great day was the discovery and purchase of three tins of 'Log Cabin', 6 ounces of tobacco, for considerably less than I would pay for the equivalent amount of a new blend in the shop next door to the antique shop!!!
All still sealed, and in perfect condition:
IMG_1836-e1491414100377.jpg

Government Seals still intact:
IMG_1837-e1491414073901.jpg

IMG_1838-e1491414034892.jpg

Rubber gasket seal, still in place and was working perfectly:
IMG_1839-e1491413995589.jpg

Tobacco perfectly moist, beautifully fragrant and inviting:
IMG_1840-e1491413913286.jpg

A good day, indeed.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
WOW!!

What a find. I've not heard of that one, and that tin art!--- WONDERFUL!.............. It always amazes me when these old tins show up like this. Treasures they are. Thanks for sharing, and do let us know how it smokes!!.............. :puffy:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Boy, maybe they should still use those rubber gaskets! I am a bit confused where it says 'Sweetened in Bond." Any idea what that means? About how old do you think these are?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is so cool. I hope it unfolds perfectly for you after all these years. Since PC's Russ O. is a tobacco historian as well as a blender, I suspect his Log Cabin blend is a tribute to this classic, and it is mighty tasty in its own right. This will prompt me to smoke some in a cob or freehand.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
'Sweetened in Bond.'
Basically, British law prevented manufacturers from making sweetened tobaccos. However, it was ok for them to buy sweetened tobaccos from abroad provided the relevant excise duty had been paid. This was an odd loophole so Gladstone (Prime Minister at the time) allowed the manufacturers to produce tobacco of that type, but only while in bond. The idea was to put British manufacturers on the same footing as foreign manufacturers for providing the domestic market.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take note that the blend is in square tins which are often suspect of not sealing as well as round ones. Apparently not in this case. Interesting.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The idea was to put British manufacturers on the same footing as foreign manufacturers for providing the domestic market.
Excellent explanation! Thank you, didache!
MSO--- I would attribute that to the heavy rubber gasket. Apparently works better than the thin elastomeric bead now used!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I really like the tin art and the tobacco looks great! Good score. Enjoy! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
toobfreak, those ARE wonderful finds. I don't think I've ever seen tins with rubber gaskets. It's like a time machine. And those old government seals. They're a historical experience. Pipe smoking gold.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
That is amazing. I did some quick googling. Looks like somewhere between 1910 and 1925 best I can tell.
It's amazing that it stayed sealed for 80-90yrs? Wow.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Brilliant! You certainly 'lucked out' that day! I spend quite a bit of time searching for old sealed tins as well. It's hit & miss, but when it's a hit it's a 'big' hit. Congratulations & good on you for buying it to smoke for yourself & not sell on. I've been on the pipe for years now, & the best no the very best baccy I've smoked is unexpected gems like you got yourself there.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
it stayed sealed for 80-90yrs
That's incredible. I had been thinking in the 20-30 year range. No modern packaging could ever keep something fresh that long in my experience. Those would be american steel tins and not thin aluminum.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Klause, you have to be one of the luckiest chaps I know. I have often sought out an empty tin of Log Cabin just for the art, but I have yet to find a good deal. You just scored an incredible deal on much more than an empty tin. :worship:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just incredible...beautiful pics...what a find. It's always fascinating when something like this turns up in good condition after so many years. Makes you wonder how many more such tobacco rarities are still preserved out there somewhere. Really looking forward to your review of smoking it.
'Sweetened in Bond.'
Basically, British law prevented manufacturers from making sweetened tobaccos. However, it was ok for them to buy sweetened tobaccos from abroad provided the relevant excise duty had been paid. This was an odd loophole so Gladstone (Prime Minister at the time) allowed the manufacturers to produce tobacco of that type, but only while in bond. The idea was to put British manufacturers on the same footing as foreign manufacturers for providing the domestic market.
Thanks for that explanation...very interesting.

Awesome find. I am jealous.

On the tins staying sealed... I have become skeptical of some of the things that get reported on the forums. One person gets a tin that is unsealed, people's hackles get raised, and then folks turn one instance into a huge industry problem. I just give all of my tins (square or round) a good tug to try to open them before putting them in the cellar.

All in all, I think that most industry issues brought up on the forums are due to a phenomena of "blown out of proportion."

Status
Not open for further replies.