PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok bought this pipe at an antique store. It is marked Kaywoodie Filter pipe. Pat. Pend. I haven't tried to disassemble it as I don't want to break it. My assumption is that. You unscrew the plug on the bottom but I am unsure. Anyone ever seen one? Know anything about these? Also wondering how old it is and how much it might be worth. I had never seen one before and paid more than I normally would, but it is so cool looking and I love that the stem and shank have the clover. Not planning to sell it just need some help with how to take it apart for cleaning.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I don't either. Seen them, but not sure how it comes apart. It's awesome.
Edit- the bottom screws out. The filter is inside....or not. Might want to loosen up the threads with some olive oil.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I think those are approx. 60s-70s pipes. The bottom piece screws out so a ceramic filter can be affixed. I've seen the pipes and filters on eBay. Never had one though so I'm not sure how it comes apart. One of the Kaywoodie collectors here will know.

That one is in nice shape. Should clean up to like new.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thanks to smooth sailing for the link. That did the trick. The stem is spring loaded and when pulled releases a metal shaft so that the bowl can come free. I have the bowl off, not to try to get the bottom plug out.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok got the plug out. Here is a pic of the pipe disassembled. I used a dime to unscrew it, a quarter was too fat. Now I can clean this baby up and smoke it.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I used a dime to unscrew it, a quarter was too fat.
When this pipe was made, the lowly dime was a little higher on the hog. After all, a dime would satisfy a pay phone.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Cool find! I have one myself that I have yet to smoke. Kaywoodie made three different filter pipes. Yours was the style made between 1961 and 68. you can soak the filters in alcohol to clean them up a bit as new ones can be hard to find. When you do find them they may not fit. The tube I have fit in my filter pipe but not the filtronic pipes from the 70s.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Interesting pipe -- please post some pics once you've done the cleanup.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Big thanks to Coffinmaker. He sent me a pack of three new filters for this pipe. Plan to get it restored next week and fire it up. I'll post pics when I do. Here are the filters.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I soaked the bottom cap in alcohol to break the old filter loose. Funny thing the filter sucked up all of the alcohol. These things really work. But it did come loose. Should be finished and ready to smoke tomorrow.

Aug 1, 2012
Glad you got it apart and ready to get cleaned up. Got a few of those filters here myself and apparently you can clean them by soaking or baking them. Haven't tried it myself as the filter takes a lot of abuse before it dies.
Nice looking Kaywoodie. Enjoy it.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I am not expert but I have handled a few of these in my day. I have never seen one with the logo imprinted on the metal shank like yours. Might be rare or not. :) Should at least help in dating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.