PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, I know the AMC Eagle is an ugly beast, probably only second to ugliness to a VW Thing in most people's books. However, I like it nor for it looks but what it represents. It was the first affordable blending of a car with a 4-wheel drive Jeep like chassis. It also was capable of four-wheel drive on dry pavement, unlike its competitors. I think its a great car and represented a moment of innovation in the industry that I respect.
I was teasing you a bit, that model caught me out given the other cars referenced in your post (Jaguar, etc.) The AMC brand definitely wasn't noted for their automotive styling. However, the Eagle was way ahead of its time, answering a question no one was asking, just yet. No one knew what a SUV was nor was anyone aware that soon they would dominate the automotive industry.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I've been a motorhead since forever with a particular love of the oldies from the '40s and '50s. I've owned many cars over the years, but my two favorites were my 1952 Packard Mayfair (a rolling rust bucket that was mechanically perfect) and my fully restored '62 Studebaker GT Hawk. Unfortunately I no longer have any old cars, but I hope to one day get an old pickup truck.
Speaking of AMC, my first car ever was a 1970 AMC Hornet with three on the tree that I inherited from an uncle. I also owned a 1976 Pacer that actually was quite comfortable and had a very nice ride. Gas guzzler though, even for back then. The first old car that I bought was a 1956 Dodge Coronet that cost me $22.00 (odd amount of money, but there's an anticlimactic story behind the price that's not worth telling). I drove that thing everywhere for about eight months before I tired of it and bought a 1950 Buick Special, the next in a long line of cheap, old cars I've owned.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I've currently been in the market for a Austin Sprite, or a Nash Metro. Im just a sucker for them for some reason! When it comes down to it, who doesn't love a vintage car? All that chrome and style..boy, makes you wonder what car makers are thinking these days!!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I own this exact car out of HS and totaled it 2 weeks before reporting to the Army (drafted)
My heart skipped a beat when I saw that car Dochudson. I love American muscle. Hopefully someday I'll own a 68' GTO....

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I was into it back when I raced SCCA D sports.
I was a flagman in SCCA NY Region, back in the 70s. Spent many weekends at Limerock, Bridgehampton, Watkins Glenn. I drove a MGB for years. Wish I still had it.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
Bermuda Blue 1971 Morris Traveller (one of the last ever made), a brilliant car and perfectly designed 'for the working man'. Its the only car I've ever owned and has taught me plenty about mechanics :P If only replacement parts were made as well as the originals !!!!!!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Can't believe it! Went outside and under the carport there's a 1970 Chevy Nova! It's a little 6 cylinder, 2 door and has been waiting on attention for several years. I just got use to seeing it there.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Can't believe it! Went outside and under the carport there's a 1970 Chevy Nova! It's a little 6 cylinder, 2 door and has been waiting on attention for several years. I just got use to seeing it there.
Shine her up real nice, there's $$ to be made. A classic in demand.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
It was my wife's first "new" car - she'll never let this one go. It's my retirement project (3 more years and counting).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
+1 for the Morris Traveler. Our MG club just had a car show with over 200 cars. A couple of Morris Minors showed up and one was a Traveler woodie that had been in the same family for over 50 years. Very cool cars.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I remember watching Paul Newman racing for Bob Sharp Datsun at Limerock. My uncle built the Jaguar XKE that the Empire Division used to race there. I'd drive my '67 MGB bucket of bolts up there and drool over the cars.

Aug 14, 2012
My 1974 Volkswagen was my best car. Even better than my 64 BMW But when you talk about vintage cars I think of Duesenberg (it was a Duesie), Mercedes 540K, 1941 Lincoln Continental,Cord, Hispano Suiza, vintage Rolls Royces and Bentley Continentals, Mercedes 300SL gullwing and Delahaye. If you haven't seen an old Delahaye, Google it. You will be amazed at the beauty. When you talk about vintage motorcycles I think of any BMW before about 1970 (I had four of them), Indian or Vincent. Or maybe the first Harley, with a carburetor made from a tomato can.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
LeMay has put a rather large portion of their collection (largest in the world at one time) on display at the classic car museum in Tacoma right next to the dome. If you come up for the cars in Issaquah, you should swing by the museum as well. Plus it is really close to Smokie Joes which is a bar in Fife you can smoke in.
=)

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
My handle alludes to the car I have. Though it is a 2006GT Ford nailed the style all the way back to the 60's. It is the car I always wanted when I was in highschool and finally got it. Ordered straight from the factory the way I wanted it. My first car was a 71 Torino with a 302, 70's on front and 60's on back very cool car. I also owned a 65 Rivera with a 401 nailhead that was scary fast especially after you hit 100mph!!! The front end started to float which acted as a governor for me. I had a chance at a 67 GTO but my good friend sold it out from under me.

planetscott

Lurker
Apr 7, 2013
Up until a few years ago, I owned a 1976 Mazda RX4......One of the cars with the rotary engine. I had no place to keep it and had now competence to restore it. It was a fun car. Sadly, I never got any good photos of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.