Status
Not open for further replies.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Vinent Manil -Reserve du Patron
Pure Semois - Medium Cut
Okay, I'm a bit of a newbie, trying a bunch of different tobaccos, and I'm a sucker for a good backstory. A farmer and his wife in Belgium growing, processing, packing and selling their own regional tobacco, and doing it all themselves? Sounds pretty cool. Reading the reviews of this, I did also come across the New York Times article that brought this brand to greater public attention, too. What the heck, I thought, I'll give it a try.
I got my "golden brick" in the mail today, and smoked some.
The reviews I had read said "unlike any other tobacco" with an earthy,"barnyard" pouch note, and some cigar-like qualities.
Well, when you're a beginning pipe smoker, a lot of the varieties you try taste different than anything you've had before, so I guess that was accurate for me.
As far as the "barnyard" aroma, I did get that. A bit of a smell of manure, hay, grain, silage, etc. This might not be to everyone's liking, but I grew up in farming country in Northern NY, and it's a pleasant, comforting smell to me that brings back a lot of good memories.
Cigar like? I'm not a fan of cigars, and I guess this does smell and taste closer to a cigar than most pipe tobaccos, but I thought it was still quite a bit different.
Overall, I found it to be a very pleasant, natural, earthy-type smoke. Not at all harsh to me, and very enjoyable. I'm concluding that I lean towards burleys anyways, and I liked this a lot.
It's packaged very dry, and I packed it pretty tight, and it burned well.
It's expensive, $24.90 for 3.5 ounces. Would I buy it again? Well, I'm a fairly infrequent smoker, so this will probably last me ages. But I'd probably be up for more when this runs out. Very nice.
So that's the take from my uneducated palate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great Semois discussion. That dryness in the package means you get a lot of leaf (and less water) for the weight. I'm a burley crazy, and especially a Semois crazy, the thick and medium cut. The shag (Petite Robin) is pleasant but a little too mild for me. The cigar dimension is fleeting for me, and the barnyard smell kind of reassuring, for reasons unknowable. Smokes great, full flavor but not overbearing for me.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
There are 3 varieties. I scored some of the La Brumeuse in a forum trade and found it similar to your experience. If I recall, there's not too much difference between them.
A nice, neutral smoke with its own flavor, good for any time you're not sure what to smoke or you don't want a bunch of "in your face" flavor profiles.
Although more expensive, like D&R, it ships so dry, you get quite a volume for your money.
Puff on!
jay-roger.jpg

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the reviewe from a newbie, which I am too, but I have this on my wishlist.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
This is one of my favorite tobaccos. Singular in flavor with subtle nuances. Smokes smooth and cool.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I like all the Tabacs type de Semois Belge,nonthless I must confess when and if I accidentally have any of those offering it'll take me some day to accustomed to smoking them.
Aside of Tabacs de Vincent Manil there's still existing some other 'artisan' manufacturers of this type tobaccoes of in Belgium.
Namely,J.P Couvert,and Maison de Joseph Martin

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
I really like this and after quite a few blocks have come to the following conclusion:
Smoke it really slow and you get an underlying slightly floral/woodland type of taste....(not a Lakeland)
Go a little harder and the underlying cigar comes through......
Increase the pace and it turns into a french cigarette type of taste.....time to back off for me.....
Great baccy

Status
Not open for further replies.