PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I ordered 2 tins of this from Stokkebye. My tin description does not match those listed on P&C, tobaccoreviews.com, or luxurytobaccoreviews.com
Here is what is advertised:
"A sweet, satisfying blend of select Virginias and Black Cavendish flavored with Irish Whiskey to bring a pleasant end to the day.
A classic mixture of bright Virginia for USA, Africa and Brazil blended with some fermented Black Cavendish. Genuine Irish whisky and fresh honey provides the blend an exciting taste and flavor."
pic of tin seen here
And here's what I got:
"A blend made from golden and sunrich Virginia tobaccos. The tobacco is pressed into cakes and matures during storage. After storage the cakes are cut and rubbed up. This blend has a sweet flavour and a round taste."
pic of tin on P&C
Note that the description on P&C website and the description on the front of the tin are different.
Based just on smell, I get no hints of whiskey or honey. It smells just like a VA. I'm not entirely disappointed, as I'm personally discovering my appreciation for VA, but I bought these 2 tins from milantobacconists.com expecting an aromatic.
So, to my question, have they perhaps changed the blend? Is Villiger 1888 Late Night now a VA, and no longer an aromatic, or was this an accident?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
The tins I've had did have that tin description but I never detected any honey and def no whiskey...I'm thinking with Roth that they changed the tin description

IIRC it's just a good naturally sweet va

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
And the reason I haven't tried it is that I just popped my 1st tin of escudo ever

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Smoked quite a bit of this on my 3week "vacation." That and some Escudo were my 2 main smokes during this time (I now understand what all the fuss is about).
Anyway, I really enjoyed Late Night. Very mild, slightly sweet. I played with rubbing out the chunks of flake a little more, packing as is, and cube-cutting. I can honestly say that anyway I prepared it, it was good.
I got home and put half the tin in a jar for aging, and will smoke the remaining ~quarter as is. This is kind of my version of a "poor-man's cellar." Crack a tin, store half (25g), smoke other half. And, I got a 2nd tin of it, so I'm looking forward to it with age.
That's about the most I can do for a review. Smoked well anyway I prepped it, didn't bite (unless pushed), slightly sweet, a little grassy. For the price of a tin (~$6), not a bad deal either.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I also have 2 tins of the Mid-Day. The tin description also makes me think that it might be an aromatic, but tobacco reviews only lists burley, black cav, VA, and orientals as the contents. Have yet to open it. I'm also looking forward to that one as well.
Has anyone ever tried the Mid-Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.