Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
WE always talk about Zippo's and the best lighters to use, here is a interesting article about some Zippo's from the Vietnam War era.

click the link (it looks wierd but works :roll: )
null

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
"Bury me face down so the whole world can kiss my ass."
lol
I love it.
No comments on the story though. Thanks for the heads up Yuri.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Good post Yuri66. I don't know what happened to My Zippo from that time frame but I wish I still had it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
One simply reads 'To mom from a lonely paratrooper Tony', while another reads: 'Who ever may rend (sic) this may see that there is no other but one girl for me and her lovely name is Beverley Dennington I love her very very much.'
what's the odds that Beverley might see this?

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
That was a whole different era. That is where the term "when I get back to the real world" came from. I flew F4D Phantoms over there and our squadron approved zippo said "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out!" Unacceptable sentiment today I know, but you had to be there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A very interesting story, but it is painful to think about how those lighters were acquired in Vietnam. Sadly, I'm assuming most of their owners didn't willfully leave them there.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
@ Al I agree thet thought of how many of these ZIppos were aquired is painful and sad, but I look at it this way, the story is being told, and some of the other sides of the war are being remembered, the side that no one thinks much about. And as one member said "No comments on the Story" well I am not sure what of teh story he did not want to comment on, and can only think of the parts that said that many of the Vets were not happy of being there, I am not sure I am just trying to read what was written that would rub the wrong way, and if you look back at Vietnam, many were drafted and most were not happy for being there, and this tells a part of that story that the people that served no always wanted to be there. Again just my thoughts on the comment. Not wanting to offend anyone.

I thought it was a great story and told parts of the war that are forgotten by most, remebered by a select few and should never be forgotten.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm glad you shared the story Yuri, no offense taken here. My dad was 50 when he was in Vietnam (exactly my age today) and a career soldier (retired SGM, 33 years). I'm glad he made it home mostly unscathed. Hopefully most of those lighters were just left by soldiers happy to return to the world. A special prayer to those that might not have worked out that way and have their names listed on the wall or still listed as MIA.
Last week, we were cleaning out my parents home and found his Geneva Convention "Rules of Warfare" card,etc. My brother was an Army Ranger, so he has them now. Sadly, I'm leaving now to visit Pap in the hospital, he is 92 and hopefully home tomorrow (blood clots). I was actually reading the article via phone from the hospital yesterday and it hit close to home for me.
He wasn't a smoker (probably why he is pretty darn healthy at 92...) but a great soldier and father.
Taken just after Tet.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Yuri,

Thanks for the link and interesting article. I was one of the fortunate ones that never had to experience Viet Nam doing my service time in the US Navy. I still have my zippo lighter from Guantanamo Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.