PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
It's absolutely wild to me that we can stream video from there before we feel confident that we can land a craft there.
Nice video but whose to say that this is actually footage from mars and just isn't on some remote desert
1st Moon Landing was for sure staged for international cold war purposes
Have we landed on the moon thereafter? - Most Probably YES
N A S A --> Never A Straight Answer
I don't buy into a lot of this stuff albeit I am pretty sure the Earth is quite Round ;)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Imagine having the knowledge to cast a hunk of metal and plastic into the sky and have it land on another planet. And then it sends you pictures.

Contrasted with the great majority of everyday simian activity, it almost seems like a different species.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's all amazing, so I focus my amazement on one or two features. They brake the flight from something incredible, like 1600 miles an hour, but the vehicle lowered by its rocket powered sky crane still hits the surface at about 200 miles an hour without landing in a crumpled heap. Then, all of the delicate instrumentation operates just fine at eighty below zero. Try that with a Toyota. Those are just the simplest stunts, the base line. Then they're going to dig up rock samples to be retrieved years later by a second robotic returnable vehicle. If you love gadgets, this all drives you nuts, or me I mean.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It's all amazing, so I focus my amazement on one or two features. They brake the flight from something incredible, like 1600 miles an hour, but the vehicle lowered by its rocket powered sky crane still hits the surface at about 200 miles an hour without landing in a crumpled heap. Then, all of the delicate instrumentation operates just fine at eighty below zero. Try that with a Toyota. Those are just the simplest stunts, the base line. Then they're going to dig up rock samples to be retrieved years later by a second robotic returnable vehicle. If you love gadgets, this all drives you nuts, or me I mean.
While I agree with the general impressiveness of the whole process in general, the velocity when it actually touches down is only 1.7 MPH. It slows down quite a bit during the rocket powered descent and skycrane maneuver.

I have been following the whole process, and it is thoroughly amazing. I will be surprised if we don't have a man on mars within 10 years. If you ask Elon Musk, within 5.

Absolutely crazy. To see video of it takes it to another level. All that data blasting through space back to earth just seems like pure magic. I'm excited to see what the drone on board has to show us in the next few months! First powered flight on another planet. Wild.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
How long before some bonehead comes along telling us this was all set up on a stage somewhere in Hollywood ?

Regards,

Jay.?
The answer, Jay, is about 3 hours and 22 minutes after your post, assuming the poster is genuine and not being sarcastic. :ROFLMAO:
With all of these space and Mars posts, people are gonna start thinking we be sorta smart of sumthin".
This may be true, but I also think that reading the daily news might disabuse people of this idea. To quote Monty Python "pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space. 'Cause it's bugger all down here on Earth."
Absolutely crazy. To see video of it takes it to another level. All that data blasting through space back to earth just seems like pure magic. I'm excited to see what the drone on board has to show us in the next few months! First powered flight on another planet. Wild.
That's the footage I'm most excited about seeing as well. Cool stuff!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That was one impressive piece of science. Think about how smart you need to be to be on that team. My guess is M.I.T had the most people on it. I have been following this project since the beginning because one day this planet will be a dumpster and uninhabitable. Right now the biggest problem is how do we protect humans against the suns radiation. You can't use lead as it is too heavy. They need a completely new metal which is why we are going to asteroids and drilling for metals.

If anyone here really thinks that this is some hoax, I really feel badly for you. I watched from the beginning when the probe was built till the day it was launched. Man's achievement of putting a probe so sophisticated on to Mars is incredible. The probe even has it's own drone so it can look at places where the probe might run into trouble.

All of you folks who don't believe it, please post your name so I know who to ignore from now on.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How long before some bonehead comes along telling us this was all set up on a stage somewhere in Hollywood ?

Regards,

Jay.?
Stage 15 on the Paramount lot. It has the highest ceiling so we're able to do a believable facsimile of a real Martian landing via suspension from the perms using a miniature covered with dyed diatomaceous earth and carefully placed ridders. Looks pretty good, don't it??

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Stage 15 on the Paramount lot. It has the highest ceiling so we're able to do a believable facsimile of a real Martian landing via suspension from the perms using a miniature covered with dyed diatomaceous earth and carefully placed ridders. Looks pretty good, don't it??
This just in: Jesse Silver has been shot and killed by government agents.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier

No way, man. DME would kill all the resident insects and Hollywood will take no part in animal slaughter.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Look there is very well documented evidence that Stanley Kubrick had a part in the original moon landing - that's all I had to chime - I know I'm getting a ton of anger emojis but I've seen 2001 maybe 30 times now - it still never ceases to amaze me - the sets, the slit scans etc... the moon landing was a black and white broadcast - granted I wasn't alive- my dad was a young kid and said it was a BIG day - but I have seen the Nevada footage - if you don't know what that is - I cannot elaborate you just need to do actual research - not conspiracy stuff - it's real

Status
Not open for further replies.