PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thought I'd share this link which looks at various aromatic blends a that area available here in the UK. As most are from the large tobacco houses, our American brothers & sisters should be able to find most of them if they see anything they like. The video includes -
Gawith Hoggarth – Ennerdale Flake

Virginia & Burley

Floral, Rum & Vanilla Topping
Gawith Hoggarth – Bobs “Choc” Flake

Virginia, Burley & Latakia

Chocolate Topping
Gawith Hoggarth – Vanilla Twist

Virginia & Burley

Vanilla Topping
Theodorus Niemeyer – Clan

Burley, Kentucky, Golden Cavendish,

Black Cavendish, Dark Virginia, Light

Virginia, Perique, Turkish & Maryland

Sweet Fruit Topping
Rattrays – Bagpipers Dream

Virginia & Black Cavendish

Plum & Cognac Casing
Gawith Hoggarths – Ultimum

Black Cavendish & Virginia

Cherry & Caramel Casing
Century – Golden Honey

Gold & Black Cavendish

Honey Casing
Gawiths “Exclusiv” – Black Cherry

Black Cavendish

Cherry Casing
You can find the video here -
http://glynnquelch.co.uk/2011/08/10/a-rough-guide-to-aromatics/

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
That was a good video thanks. I also clicked around on that site a bit and read his "about" page, he seems like an interesting, knowledgeable guy.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Ghost - not sure why it's blocked? They usually do that for copyrighted material, unless it's the music at the beginning and end.
Glynn certainly does know his stuff and he blends his own tobaccos to sell through the shop he works for. His channel on YouTube is worth a close look at as he reviews a lot of tobacco products.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Mine is blocked in Canada, or should I say BANada FFS! Sometimes the things our g'ment does is just fuct!

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It says Account Suspended for me to now, so I guess his Blog has hit a bandwidth limit. Try this one
watch

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I really enjoyed that! And it looks like a great, fun shop for pipe smokers. Just wish he had slowed down just a tad. . . but, then, I'd rather he go fast than make a 10-minute video feel like it lasts 30 minutes.
Thanks for the link!
Bob

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Good video. Thanks for the heads up on Bob's Chocolate Flake. I was thinking about getting some but now that I know there's Latakia in it I'll be sure to steer clear of that blend.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
lord:
It's a tiny, tiny amount of latakia. . . purely condimental. And I would guess that if you didn't know it was there, you might not even notice it. It just adds a subtle nuance to the flake. (And, technically, it doesn't contain "chocolate." It contains cocoa.)
If you find you do want to try it, send me a PM. I don't have an open tin at the moment, but it's only a matter of time; it's one of my favorites. I'd be happy to share a bowl or two.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
What you said, Mikephillips! I went searching for all of his stuff once I saw that first one here.
The only evidence I could find that he's still around is a Facebook page (which I know won't interest you). It's fairly active, but there are a lot more friends/acquaintances posting greetings to him there than there are posts from him. And the little blogging that he's done that's still up (http://www.gauntleys.com/blog/author/glynn/) hasn't had anything new posted since last September.
It's a shame. He's the only YouTube tobacco reviewer I've ever been able to actually enjoy watching!
Bob

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
If you click on the link Mikephillips posted above, you'll see that Glynn has nearly 200 videos on YouTube. They cover pipes, pipe tobacco, cigars, snuff and cigarettes - he really loves his tobacco products! He is also the in house tobacco blender for Gauntleys where he works. The blends of his I've tried have been really good and two of them have become regular smokes for me.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
withnail:
So, do you know Glynn personally? If so, do you know why the videos and blogs all stopped about eight months ago?
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
GLynn Quelch....never seen his videos before (assuming he had a website that's now defunct?) but I really, really like that kid.
+1
After that one I went looking for more of his videos and subscribed to his channel. Very knowledgeable and straight to the point.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Rmbittner - I don't know Glynn personally, only through dealing with Gauntleys where he works. I'm not sure why he hasn't posted anything new for some months. I hope it's just because he has been busy rather than anything more serious.
Numbersix - He's site was working this morning, but now gives an "account suspended" message. Again, I hope this is due to him hitting a bandwidth limit due to the number of readers he has and not that it has gone off line. He writes in a similar chatty yet informative style to his videos.
Glynn has also been able to arrange supplies of some G L Pease blends. I think Gauntley is the only UK Tobacconist to stock them so far.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Oh well I guess its not gonna be possible for this Canadian to watch this video. Thats too bad cause it sounds like its quite interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.