PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't smoked cigars in a long time, but when I did, l like Dominicans better than the Cubans I could afford (in Canada). How do Nicaraguans compare with Dominicans?

Reactions: danimalia

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, Viajes are one of my cigars of choice. Excellent sticks out of Nicaragua.
Nicaraguan tobacco is my favorite. To my tastes they grow the most flavorful tobaccos in the world.
Favorite brands are: Viaje, Illusione, Warped, and Foundation.

Reactions: BROBS and DonutLuvr

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I haven't smoked cigars in a long time, but when I did, l like Dominicans better than the Cubans I could afford (in Canada). How do Nicaraguans compare with Dominicans?
In general, Nicaraguan cigars are spicier and fuller in body and strength than Dominicans, though of course there are exceptions to the rule.

As for Viajes, I haven't smoked many. None of my local shops carry them which is the biggest reason I haven't tried more. I should, though.

Both Nicaraguan and Dominican cigars have their own place in my humidor! For a milder smoke Dominicans have proven to be better (Romeo y Julietta, Monte Christo etc...) while for a bolder smoke Nicaraguans rule (Examples Padron Limited editions, Oliva high ends, La Aroma de Cuba, etc)

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Tatuaje Havana Cazadores are my new favorites though... Just picked up a box. Man, I cannot say enough good things about these sticks. Leaves me wanting another right away. Paired with an awesome homemade ginger beer... divinity on earth.

It's a wonderful size. The flavor delivery of a corona with some extra smoking duration. The Black Label has a Cazadores size too and it's excellent as well.

And don't worry about it becoming hard to find. As long as the line is available, the lonsdale sizes will be the last to come off the shelves. So you have a good chance of getting cigars with some age, too! Just a small perk of having good taste in vitolas.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Tried some when they first came out. They had very poor construction and I received a box with heavily damaged cigars inside. Neither the retailer nor Viaje cigars agreed to make it right, so I've never bought another. They seem to focus on special/limited releases which at one time garnered quite a fervor. No clue whether they're still popular as folks in the (online) circles I run in ever seem to mention them. Then again, I'm much more of a Cuban/Dominican smoker and far less of a Niaraguan/Honduran guy.

Dio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2020
Viajes were good but now the quality decilined quite bit. IMO it is over-hyped. There are other brands better then Viaje IMO

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Seemed to me that they (Viaje) created so many different cigars that this stogie has became hard to focus on the blend. Seems like I tried this blend and found it kind of "meh" but other people tried and really liked it.
As always, MSO can't comment on this so he changed the question.

Since I posted last ... I purchased 4 of the limited edition Zombie and smoked 3 of them so far. The flavors are good but not worth the price. Also, all 3 of them had horrible construction issues, which I think is borderline criminal given the price.
At that price point I am quite happy with the Padrons I smoke, and a bunch of other cigars which are way better at a low price point.
All marketing and no substance

Status
Not open for further replies.