PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1fatbbqr

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
I am not sure which forum to post this in. Last week, I asked in the Tobacco Discussion forum for recommendations for Boswell tobaccos, as I was visiting their store the coming weekend. I promised to do an update after my visit, so here it is. Sorry if it is long winded.
I had a great time at J.M. Boswell's shop over the weekend. J.M. and his son Dan were incredibly helpful. It felt less like a business interaction, and more like I was in the home of an acquaintance. I told Dan that I wasn’t sure what types of tobacco I was looking for, but I had a list of recommendations. He showed me where the jarred tobaccos were and told me to sample as many as I liked. While sampling the tobacco, I strolled through the shop and spent a lot of time looking at different pipes that they had on display. I ended up purchasing three pipes that I knew I couldn’t leave there without. After I had chosen the pipes I liked, and the tobaccos I wanted, Dan said I was more than welcome to sit, enjoy the new pipes, and sample more of the tobaccos, even though I hadn’t been rung up yet. I sat for four hours and talked with J.M and Dan, as well as several of their regulars. It really turned the process of purchasing a pipe into an experience.
There was something really cool about enjoying the pipes I had purchased with the guys who made them. J.M talked at length about the tobacco business, and his personal views on it, and his feelings on ecommerce and why you can’t buy things directly from his website. He likes to get to know his customers. He likes to meet the people who will be buying his products, even if it is only by phone. He doesn’t want to have the risk of a customer’s information being stolen from a website. He said he might lose some business because of that, but that is the respect he has for his customers’ privacy and information. They also do very little advertising, and prefer to rely on word of mouth.
I may have gone a little overboard with my purchases though. I got 3 new pipes, as well as 3 tins of Frog Morton’s Cellar, 4 oz of Northwoods, 4 oz of Berry Cobbler, 2 oz of No Bite Delite, 2 oz of Boswell Premium Burley Blend, 2 oz of Bear Blend and 2 oz of Sweet Tea. They even threw in 2 oz of Boswell’s Best to bring to a coworker who had never heard of Boswell’s.
I would recommend that anyone who can visit their store visit it. It is well worth the trip. I have rarely been treated as well as a customer in any business. The relaxed atmosphere, combined with the regulars and J.M and Dan made for an awesome visit. If you can’t visit, you should call and order from them. I am confident they will treat you right.
I have pictures of my new pipes, and they are beauties, and I will be posting those pictures when I get home tonight. Sorry that this review was kind of long winded. I just really enjoyed my experience, and thought I should share.
P.S. Should I start a new thread with the pictures, or should I just post them in the comments of this post? I am new to this forum, and want to be sure to do things right.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey 1fatbbqr, welcome to the forums and thank you for this post.
Boswell's certainly has a stellar reputation, and stories like yours are certainly one of the reasons why. I have recently started collecting churchwardens, and have had an eye on a couple of their designs. Testimonials like yours make me feel like picking up the phone and ordering that pipe right now. So thanks for sharing.
And yes... we love photos, post them wherever and whenever you'd like.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not surprised by your glowing review, as everyone who makes a pilgrimmagr to the shop is treated like family. i do enjoy chatting with JM. He has decades of pipe/tobacco experience. I dont always agree with his views, but his personality makes every conversation wothwhile. He always takes a few minutes to hang out in the lounge, particulalry if there are new customers in the shop. I'll look forward to seeing your pipes!

1fatbbqr

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
Here are my new pipes. I really enjoy they way they smoke. There is a standard Chzeck tool in each picture to give a size reference. They are all fairly large and are bound to be house pipes.

NyJLMS5.jpg

hElKWcS.jpg

nEvZdEo.jpg

2bQLuSU.jpg

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Terrific looking pipes! So few really great B & M's out there now. I'm planning my summer road trips around my desire to see as many of them as I can while they are still around! Great post! Thanks for sharing!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing that great story. I'm partial to their Sweet Tea a little bit.
I keep threatening to order some of their Northwoods. Let us know what you think about it.

Jul 15, 2011
I bought my first two Boswell pipes this past February, and I couldnt have been happier with the experience. I got to talk to JM personally when placing my order and we sat on the phone chatting about pipe shapes and tobaccos, and he treated me like I was a long time friend and not just a guy buying a pipe from him. Boswells will continue to get business from me, no doubt about it.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Boswell's certainly has a stellar reputation, and stories like yours are certainly one of the reasons why. I have recently started collecting churchwardens, and have had an eye on a couple of their designs. Testimonials like yours make me feel like picking up the phone and ordering that pipe right now. So thanks for sharing.
X1 on that Pat!
I really like the first one. I have been eyeing up several different pipe makers that have this style and I know Boswell's would have a nice wizard style warden or one with similar shape just a different finish.
Those are some nice pipes for sure! Happy smoking and welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.