Very Stong Tobaccos - How do They Use To Age?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I have some blends that are somewhat brutal-ish for me at the moment.
I'm thinking about cellaring them to see if they get more mellow within some time.
Have you done it with very strong / extremely strong tobaccos, and, if so, what did happen strength-wise?

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Machado, I honestly don't understand you. And it's not because I don't speak Portuguese.
In your other threads, you've been specifically looking for high nicotine blends. One of your first choices was Irish Flake because you heard it was strong, then you promptly moved on to stronger indigenous rope tobaccos.
Then in other threads, you are complaining that you get nauseous (surprise, surprise) because you half-inhale these nic bombs, and you chalk it up to maybe being due to how your maid cleaned your pipe? Or a bowl coating?
Am I getting this right?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About the strong tobaccos, stored properly they keep well and depending on the leaf probably improve some, especially Virginia based blends. Aging can integrate the constituent tobaccos in a blend. As yaddy implies, maybe medium or mild blends would be a better choice; maybe try separating your enjoyment from the nicotine somewhat or altogether.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
yaddy306
In your other threads, you've been specifically looking for high nicotine blends. One of your first choices was Irish Flake because you heard it was strong, then you promptly moved on to stronger indigenous rope tobaccos.
Actually, I purchased Irish Flake because it was the best reviewed blend available in a reliable website here in Brazil. I was pretty clueless back then and had no preference whatsoever.

About the indigenous rope tobaccos, I'm a very curious person when it comes to tasting everything. I've come to the conclusion that my preferences are mild to medium-strength blends, but the thought of tasting such an unique local product amazed me.
Then in other threads, you are complaining that you get nauseous (surprise, surprise) because you half-inhale these nicely bombs, and you chalk it up to maybe being due to how your maid cleaned your pipe? Or a bowl coating?
Yes, you are correct, I struggled with those blends. I wondered about the reasons a lot, and in the end I found that the actual reason was the inhaling thing (and the fact that I'm not as tolerant to nicotine as I once thought). The bowl coating and the maid thing are things of the past... The maid incident is always fun to be remembered though :)

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
MSO
As yaddy implies, maybe medium or mild blends would be a better choice; maybe try separating your enjoyment from the nicotine somewhat or altogether.
Yes, I've actually never been a true nicotine seeker as I replied above. Medium and mild blends are great.
I'm addicted to John Cotton's.
I created this thread because I wanted to "tone down" my rope tobaccos with time.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Since Olkfori told about Nesbitt's Paradox, everything made sense.
Being knocked out to the bed due to nicotine isn't nice, unless you want a sleep aid.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People are individual in their response to nicotine. My dad smoked Granger, with a hiatus for King Edward cigars, for most of his adult life, but then quit cold turkey in his sixties when he went to a campus no-smoking work place. When he smoked it was from right after breakfast to bedtime, except for meals. My mom loved the drama of gesturing with cigarettes, but nicotine had no effect on her at all. I think every pack she ever owned went stale, usually more than half full. She only wanted to do her Bette Davis from time to time. My late wife was seriously hooked on nails and quit heroically on her third try from a multi-pack a day habit. I quit smoking in solidarity, just having a cigar or two away on business trips, which I told her about. My wife now was a Galoise and then Camels smoker but quit decades ago, but tolerates my pipe. I can enjoy a nic buzz when it arises, but I never pack a pipe with that objective. I had an economics professor when I was an undergrad who seemed to have two or three cigarettes going at once, with his black coffee.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 / mso - I find at times I want a stronger blend...but I then choose a smaller bowl to smoke it that way I don't end up on the floor. My tastes change over time and perhaps come full circle again, which I enjoy. Having a good variety of blends at hand helps all this change and you can then customize and get exactly what you are looking for from each smoke. Pipe smoking for me is about enjoying the blends , slowing down and enjoying the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.