PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My wife was out hitting some second hand shops and ran into a possible treasure.
It appears to be a VERY old (late 1880's?) MacArthur shaped bowl with a huge, 24 inch long, cane stem.
The shop is closed today but I will be there when they open tomorrow to see if it's worth grabbing!
Any info on this particular piece is welcome and appreciated:
05-maiskolf-gebogen-steel.jpg

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I have not seen anything like it. Please do share what you learn about it whether you buy it or not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is an interesting looking corncob pipe. It is so interesting, it makes me think it might be some sort of craft item, more for decoration than smoking, but if not, it is a real find. You'll know something if you can smoke it, and it is or isn't a serviceable smoker. Intriguing. Keep us updated, please.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Several companies made them, including Missouri Meerschaum. *Probably* not 1800's though it could be. The style before the turn of the century was not quite the same. Best Guess is between 1910-1940's. They were smokable for sure and you usually find them smoked to hell and back. There is often an issue with the draw on these, it seems like all kind of little bugs like to get in the cane and make their nest, and there were probably a lot of draw issues when brand new too. It's hard to bend cane without it collapsing the airway a bit, and thats assuming all of the knuckles were drilled out well to begin with.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks for the info and links!
I'll know more in the morning, hopefully, and get back to this thread.
Smoke-able or not, I think it needs to be in my collection. :)
Here's the article that goes with the pic I posted and contains some great cob pipe history:
http://www.pijpenkabinet.nl/Artikelen/maiskolfpijp/art-E-corncob%20pipe.html

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I hope it's still there for ya.

Good that your wife spotted it. A shame she didn't 'grab' it. It must have been pricey?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It was still there ... and now it's mine! :D
One of the oldest stickers used by Missouri Meerschaum:
15%2B-%2B1

A monkey I found to pose with the pipe for size reference:
15%2B-%2B1

The freebie "mini cob" that was tossed in to sweeten the deal:
15%2B-%2B1

15%2B-%2B1

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm happy for the both of you, the pipe and yourself. (and of course, you and your wife), but that pipe found its rightful owner!

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Very nice find; kudo's to your wife. Best part about pipe life, finding that piece that speaks to you and then you get it.
Enjoy!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks guys ... I'm glad I grabbed it!
@Agg ... I would call this a "Mac" or "MacArthur" style with fancy reed stem.
The owner said his partner wanted to add a "1" in front of the price but that he had talked him out of it ... glad he did! :)

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
That is rather cool cobguy!! I am glad you got it. Plus the monkey in the picture is awesome. Where did you find a smoking monkey? What do you feed it...latakia?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Where did you find a smoking monkey? What do you feed it...latakia?
LOL ... that monkey is TOO well fed!
In fact, just moments after that photo was taken, the monkey was chowing down on some Pad Thai. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.