PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Wondering if anyone has smoked some Oliva 2nds, and if the quality and overall taste was what you’d expect from Oliva? This bundle on cigarpage appears to be Serie V Melanio Maduro 2nds, at least that’s what I’m inferring from the listing. Stupid good deal if that’s what they are, but I’m just hesitant to buy 20 sticks if Oliva 2nds are turds. Thoughts? Thanks, gents!

0580B0C0-2672-4DED-A9FB-EA541C7D6026.jpeg

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Some are tight. Almost all mine were tight. I left them In the humidor for about 3 weeks and they loosened up. I wouldn't buy them again. Taste was great though. Tight draw is a deal breaker for me though.

Reactions: mtwaller

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Wondering if anyone has smoked some Oliva 2nds, and if the quality and overall taste was what you’d expect from Oliva? This bundle on cigarpage appears to be Serie V Melanio Maduro 2nds, at least that’s what I’m inferring from the listing. Stupid good deal if that’s what they are, but I’m just hesitant to buy 20 sticks if Oliva 2nds are turds. Thoughts? Thanks, gents!

View attachment 174691
I am not a cigar guy as in I like cigars have smoked quite a few but love pipes way more. My opinion on these they punch above their price point. They taste like a higher end cigar. The ones I had were a while ago. And it did seem at least in that batch what was 2nd about them was that the wrappers looked fine but not at full price.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I never liked anything from Oliva, so I'm probably biased. I thought their original offering was for a $2 cigar that was terrible. But that was at 25 years ago and I know a substantial number of smokers who have tried the upscale Olivas and like them. If these things only cost $20 you can always mow your lawn with them.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Some are tight. Almost all mine were tight. I left them In the humidor for about 3 weeks and they loosened up. I wouldn't buy them again. Taste was great though. Tight draw is a deal breaker for me though.

A tight draw need not prevent you from enjoying a bargain. The PerfecDraw tool is a game changer. I highly recommend it.

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
i've gotten several bundles of the Oliva 2nd's. been very happy with them. they are a pretty good deal at "regular price", but when cigarpage.com runs a sale on them, they are a bargain, IMO. I'm a regular smoker of the Oliva V's, Maduro V's, and Melanio's.....several boxes of each in the cabinets, so you could count me as a fan of the brand. YMMV

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Did you ever pull the trigger on those 2nds ? I just got a pack of 15 delivered last night. Haven't tried any yet. Got a new Tupperware container delivered too for my new editions. When the wife asked what's in the 📦 I said ahhhh just a Tupperware container. 😬
I did, I smoked two of them a little while back. The draw was very loose on both and one has some stem/vein sticking out of the cap. The flavor was pretty solid, but both of them burned quicker than expected and didn’t really feel like a premium cigar experience. For the price I’m not mad, but I’ll have to revisit them soon and see if the next one is a bit better.

jwalker1nr

Lurker
Jan 26, 2023
Smoked one last night after 2 a day's off the truck. Pretty damn good. Construction was perfect. Flavor was not exact to the V melanio maduro. But damn close. Definitely buying more. At $1.70 a stick this was a jackpot. 20230127_211616.jpgCan't wait to see what resting does.