PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I plan to build a house. Is it possible to install quiet, unobtrusive ventilation systems to eliminate pipe smoke short of loud noisy exhaust fans?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
They make smoke eaters/exhaust that are quite effective in exhausting the smoke while being very quiet. This would work effectively for a room but not for an entire house unless you installed one in each open area. Not cheap either but they do work.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
They make smoke eaters/exhaust that are quite effective in exhausting the smoke while being very quiet. This would work effectively for a room but not for an entire house unless you installed one in each open area. Not cheap either but they do work.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Where will the room to be ventilated be located? Basement? Main floor? Upstairs?

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Central air conditioning with good filters would do it in a pinch, provided you allow the fan to run before, during, and for a while after smoking. It won’t make the smell completely vanish, but it’ll keep rooms from getting obnoxiously smokey. However, you’d want to make sure the ductwork got cleaned every once in a while to address tar buildup and stuff like that.

A step up from that is dedicating one room to “cigar room” status, with its own separate ducting and ventilation system. That can be as simple as an exhaust fan sized larger than the room actually needs, or even a window with a box fan, and supplementing that with freestanding or wall hanger air purifiers. There are some insulation and door sealing considerations as well, since smoke has an amazing ability to infiltrate through the smallest gaps. Usually you’d want some kind of spray foam insulation and you’d want to make sure there isn’t an open air return connected to the main ductwork that services the rest of the house, and you wouldn’t want a significant door gap. Ideally, the rest of the house would be at a higher air pressure, which would help keep smoke from infiltrating other areas if you opened the door. There’s a whole bunch of Google hits for different ways people have set all that up.

Me, I’m just doing a separate shed/outbuilding for that when the time comes.

Reactions: BROBS

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
If you're building, you have lots of options. By locating an exhaust fan remotely you can remove smoke from a room without having the fan located in the room. You just need to calculate the velocity of the airflow to see if it will be quiet enough for your needs. Incorporated into a new home, very doable.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I use this Panasonic FV-40VQ4. Someone else here used it to tie a few rooms into it. It takes a 6” duct.
6D5CAD34-C6DC-400E-A223-5048CD78E928.jpeg