PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
I'm sitting on my patio, it about 53 degrees Fahrenheit and I've just finished my first bowl of Velvet in a Missouri Meerschaum Legend along with a cold pint of Hamm's beer. A good combo I must say. Not a flavor bomb but just a good enjoyable smoke. No wonder this Blend has been around forever.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've looked at Velvet more than once online and in the catalogs, being a burley guy (tobacco not physique). I may get to it. Recently, I discovered Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. SWR Regular doesn't have much taste for me. But SWR Aromatic serves as an excellent anytime smoke, with a burley base, Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs. Some of these old pouch or tub tobaccos are more than expected. I love my uptown blends, but not to the exclusion of the codger blends.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
This post encouraged me to reach deep into the ol' cellar and revisit Velvet... and its flammin' mothfuls of licorice-Play-Doh liqueur? 8O
To each their own!

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
@ Chasingembers, agreed.

@ Huntertrw, yup, it was the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com plus a YouTube pipe community member The Artful Codger who extols the wonders of Velvet and he produced a great video on its history. Check out his channel when you can.

@ paulie66scandanavian, I have a pouch of Lane Limited Ready Rubbed that's next in line for a smoke.

@ Mso, I too like SWR Aromatic. If it were socially acceptable, I would walk around all day with my nose stuck in a pouch of it. I love that aroma.

@Jeffrey Deal, I thought all that Play-Doh aroma business was exaggerated but danged if that wasn't what I smelled when I first opened the pouch. The other aromas(faint) started wafting through after a few seconds of airing out. But all in all it was a nice smoke and I'm looking forward to my next bowl.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
The new Velvet is good and the same with the new Granger,Lane did a good job bringing these 2 older codgers back to life.Their is a great video on YouTube by the Artfulcodger on Velvet tobacco.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some day, I will try this one. An old friend smoked it, if memories are correct. I fear its dreaded low Nicotine rating however.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Tastes alright, burns fine, but less nicotine than Carter Hall and lacks enough depth or complexity for me to keep around. Like it better with Perique mixed in.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
The aroma of Velvet in the pouch is wonderful! It is deep, dark, humid, semi-sweet, and slightly fruity; reminiscent of the odor I enjoyed years ago during a tour of the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco plant in Winston Salem, North Carolina.
The tobacco in my pouch was slightly moist (and accordingly slow to light), but eventually burned well despite that fact and produced nary a gurgle. The taste is Burley graced by a light licorice-like essence; however, unlike black licorice candy it left no coating on my tongue. For those looking for volumes of creamy smoke Velvet is a winner, and it left a pleasant after-taste.
I enjoyed my re-introduction to Velvet in a group-two-size 1928 Dunhill Shell briar pipe, and am eager to see how it performs in some of my larger-bowled pipes. For the life of me I cannot explain what changed since I last smoked Velvet, the tobacco or me or both, but I'm glad that I revisited it today. The reunion was most pleasant.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Like some of you older guys, I was a neophyte pipe smoker in the, ah, uhm, 1960s. I tried Velvet then and like Hunter, I just didn't care for it.
I picked up a tub the first of the year (2017) and thought I had found the Holy Grail for a daily smoke. Now I can't get enough of the stuff.
Just sayin'.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lanes fixed up Granger? I liked the last iteration, but it did have a ragged harsh little edge. If Lanes combed that out of it, I might really like it, being a burley devotee. My dad chain smoked that, as it were, from about age 15 until 65 when he quit cold turkey. He smoked one pipe at a time until it burnt out, and always Granger, from right after breakfast until bedtime mostly. Of course he was smoking the original blend, and it's been sold two or three times since then. I sure know how it smelled, but not how it tasted exactly. Smoking it a few years ago was close enough to bring back many memories.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO: Granger still has a rough edge, but less so than before. Has more of a topping, too.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Wasn't Velvet as sold as a RYO as well as pipe tobacco? I tried it once and it smelt very fruity to me and burned way too fast for my tastes.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Wasn't Velvet as sold as a RYO as well as pipe tobacco?
Yes, like many early 20th century packaged tobaccos, it was billed for use in both pipe and cigarette.
th

Status
Not open for further replies.