PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Michael303

Lurker
Mar 4, 2022
I'm looking to have the stem replaced in my fairly new Vauen Venti. The connector unfortunately pulled out of the pipe. It was just glued in there and I wasn't impressed with how the stem fit to the connector. It was really tight going in but got really loose all the way in.

I figure since it needs a new one I might do something slightly different and make it one piece if possible. I've searched the board for repair shops and came up with a few options but I figured I'd ask if anyone has a recommendation for this particular situation.

On a side note, I reached out to Vauen to see if they had any options for repairing this and was a bit disappointed with the response. They didn't actually reply to the message I submitted to their website so I sent a message on Instagram after a while. Their reply was that it wouldn't be worth sending it back to them. A bit frustrating considering pipe typically goes for $300+ and I had only purchased it a few weeks ago. They said I should find a local place to have it repaired.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

PXL_20220411_231005203.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Ford pulled this crap with me in 1984 when both my (now) wife and I had brand new cars with recurring and unconscionable failures.

Haven’t owned or bought a Ford product since and probably never will.

The flaws were fixable, the piss poor customer service and snotty attitudes were not. They turned a customer into a lifetime enemy and ex-customer who has spent vastly more money with their competitors than the purchase price or value of those two cars. They would have been better off crushing both cars and providing free upgrades and an apology for the inconvenience, but all we really wanted was our brand new cars repaired under warranty. Without the nastiness.

Subsequently Ford publicly acknowledged flaws in both models - but only after most were resold or off the road. So … useless.

Almost 40 years later I remember the bad service. It was never about the cars. Things break, flaws happen - it’s all fixable. Losing customers because of bad service - that usually isn’t.

• Angry
Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ford pulled this crap with me in 1984 when both my (now) wife and I had brand new cars with recurring and unconscionable failures.

Haven’t owned or bought a Ford product since and probably never will.

The flaws were fixable, the piss poor customer service and snotty attitudes were not. They turned a customer into a lifetime enemy and ex-customer who has spent vastly more money with their competitors than the purchase price or value of those two cars. They would have been better off crushing both cars and providing free upgrades and an apology for the inconvenience, but all we really wanted was our brand new cars repaired under warranty. Without the nastiness.

Subsequently Ford publicly acknowledged flaws in both models - but only after most were resold or off the road. So … useless.

Almost 40 years later I remember the bad service. It was never about the cars. Things break, flaws happen - it’s all fixable. Losing customers because of bad service - that usually isn’t.
Ford is still pulling the same shit these days.

A friend bought a new Ford (his first brand new car) a few years ago.
Problem with the gear box. He complained enough that Ford gave him a generous
trade-in for another Ford.

Guess what -same gear-box problem in this new car.

Enough customer complaints for the consumer watchdog to give Ford a public caning over this issue.

They just never learn or refuse to learn ?

Reactions: verporchting

Michael303

Lurker
Mar 4, 2022
Thank you all for all the feedback. To clarify, I did smoke it a few times before the connector pulled out so since it's technically used now that's why I went right to Vauen to try and get support on the situation. The seller is also in Germany so I figured if I have to send it back to Germany either way it might as well be back to the manufacturer.

Getting this thread back on track, does anyone have any feedback on any repair options in the US? Even if I could get Vauen to repair it I might still be inclined to have a new stem made so I could get it in one piece and maybe slightly shorter and wider.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
generally it's considered the sellers responsibility. Which makes sense. Most manufactures will not fix these issues, often they'll tell you to take it up with the seller. Which especially makes sense when you consider the international reach of these brands.
Sadly it seems like several makers are doing these two part stems now, and it seems like they are really prone to specifically this type of failure. In less then seven days we've had it come up twice with two different makers.
Last thing I think the makers can't control what happens to a pipe once they sell it to a retailer. Always contact the seller. If the seller insists it's the makers responsibility then it's best to forget that seller.

Michael303

Lurker
Mar 4, 2022
It's hard for me to tell for the photos... is it simply a matter of the adhesive failing AND/OR did one of the acrylic pieces brake/shatter?
Sorry for the confusion. It's just the adhesive that's failed. I might glue it up myself if I was sure of an adhesive that's she for this application. At least it would be usable then.

The main reason I'm looking at a replacement is the fit between the stem and connector is poor. It's tight at first Then gets really loose once it's seated all the way.

I was thinking of just having it replaced with a one piece stem. And maybe a little shorter and different shape.

Thanks.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Sorry for the confusion. It's just the adhesive that's failed. I might glue it up myself if I was sure of an adhesive that's she for this application. At least it would be usable then.

The main reason I'm looking at a replacement is the fit between the stem and connector is poor. It's tight at first Then gets really loose once it's seated all the way.

I was thinking of just having it replaced with a one piece stem. And maybe a little shorter and different shape.

Thanks.

I would be happy to repair it for you. PM me if you would like me to give it a shot. No charge. You pay shipping to me, I pay return shipping. No strings attached.