PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
So smoking VA's is fairly new to me until I discovered Mcllenlends Deep Hollow but what I wasn't expecting was how long I can smoke a bowl for. By that I mean how often I can put it aside. On a couple occassions for a couple days. Being a contractor I will sometimes put my pipe in the truck and forget about it till the next day. When I relight it still has good flavour. If I tried that with English or Aros it would either taste bad or no taste at all. Anyone have a similar experiance?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm curious about Deep Hollow. It's described as a red & black stoved Va, topped with apple and vanilla.

Does it lose the apple and vanilla flavor on relighting it?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@cortez to be honest I don't get much apple or vanilla flavour even when first filling my pipe. Now having said that this tin is from 1998 so that might contribute to the topping flavour not being as evident. It is a sweet taste but very much tastes like natural tobacco.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I almost always set-up an AK delayed gratification pipe with a little wet AK the night before. I'll do a char and true light then tamp it down and get to it the next day. You get that first light hit of flavor as the last toke of the day and a perfect smoking bowl of AK the next day. Any wet VaPer will do, sometimes I'll use FVF or SJF.
Craig

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
The rest of my post was cut off because I used an IPhone happy face. I had wanted to ask you Craig if you had any recommendations for other VA's you like?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
In the whole flake I go with SG FVF and SJF. In the broken flake MC 2015. In crumble it's AK and my go to smoke. I have become a big fan of Pease Haddo's Delight and for ribbon H&H LR. In the brown coins Escudo of course along with DH DNR. Thankfully there are many more to choose from, and always trying new ones. But there is a bunch to give a try ;)
Craig

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I smoke outside. Occasionally, I leave my lit pipe for five or ten minutes while I go into the house. I smoke VA tobacco and I swear even after ten minutes my Hambor Veermaster Virginia has already begun to lose it's taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.