PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Va/pers are overrated. Most of them seem to develop an unpleasant harshness in the last third of the bowl.
My favorite is Hal o' The Wynd. Other good ones are McConnell Scottish Cake and Flake, Old Gowrie, Dunhill Navy Rolls.
But I prefer a straight virginia.

What, overrated?

No love for Rouxgaroux, or KBV Verge Engine Overdrive?

I never once experienced any harshness with either of these blends, both top notch!

These are two blends every pipe smoker should try! ?

Both of these blends are amazing! :)

P.S. Cringle Flake is amazing too!

Last edited:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
What, overrated?

No love for Rouxgaroux, or KBV Verge Engine Overdrive?

I never once experienced any harshness with either of these blends, both top notch!

These are two blends every pipe smoker should try! ?

Both of these blends are amazing! :)

P.S. Cringle Flake is amazing too!
Unfortunatlely I haven't any access to those american blends.
I also like Dunhill's Navy Rolls btw.
But there is something about perique that isn't always pleasing to me. It may be cultural. I dislike most peppers and chili's. Jalapeños are like slices of Satan's penis to me, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
Haven't tried Ascanian No 1, but No 2 is among my favourites.

I'm from a land of oregano and olive oil, for me the signature taste of "oriental" is that of cumin. Latakia can be oily, as heavily stoved Virginia can as well, but the definitive OILY tobacco are the black ropes from Gawith, didn't like them at the end.
Hey Karam,
After reading this, this weekend I was having a bowl of Nightcap. Then, one of the many aromas/flavours I haven't yet been able to pin down comes up and, indeed, the "cumin" lightbulb lit up in my head. Thanks for pointing this out!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hey Karam,
After reading this, this weekend I was having a bowl of Nightcap. Then, one of the many aromas/flavours I haven't yet been able to pin down comes up and, indeed, the "cumin" lightbulb lit up in my head. Thanks for pointing this out!
Pleasure :) It's just one way of describing something. Some people distinguish between English and Balkan blends - if you want to try to make them a different thing - by the prevalence of the "oriental" taste and whether it is stronger than Latakia (which is also made from "oriental" leaf...).

Nightcap really is a kaleidoscope of tastes: sweet, sour, woody, smoky, incense, and has a lot of body. It was my first serious pipe tobacco, my first pipe tobacco love, and still in my top 5 after trying 70+ blends.

Incidentally, sometimes people describe "Balkan" blends as having an incense flavour, it's a rare thing for me to get that but when I do the whole bowl is sublime.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
Aging blends was a happy consequence from stocking up while the import window was still open.
I've now got blends of most genres from which to choose.
My straight Virginias have been pushed to the back of the baccy cupboard to give them some age.
I can afford to ignore them because I've got other blends to smoke until they've got a bit of age.

One pleasant surprise was AJ's Vaper.
Did not like it fresh so it was jarred and shoved to the back of the cellar with the intention of using it as a mixer with my homegrown.
Just recently, after 3-4 years, I tried a bowl and the difference is amazing.

Tobacco will not ever be any cheaper [in the U.S. that is] Strike while the iron is hot and build as big a stash as ones income allows.
Once one has a big enough stash, you will be smoking aged baccy not before long.
There's no such thing as 'too much' tobacco.
@chopper totally agree with stocking up ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Reactions: chopper

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
SG St. James Flake (havnt had it in a while, but I remember how much I enjoyed it! I have a bunch lying around somewhere

Bayou morning (nice strong hit of perique)

PS Navy flake & Bullseye flake are always dependable...

I do not dislike anything though, so that's something to keep in mind ?