VaPers in General and Peterson Navy Rolls in Particular...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitri

Lurker
Jul 2, 2020
St. Helens, England
Hello chaps,

picked up my pipe again recently after a break of a few years and I've been trying out English blends and enjoying them.
Yesterday however I went to my tobacconist and decided to try my very first VaPer and picked up a tin of Peterson Navy Rolls.

Fell in love immediately, it is a wonderful sweet smoke and so completely different to the latakia blends I've tried so far. It seemed lower in nicotine than the englishes, absolutely delicious and I cant wait to try some more.

However, I read on TR that navy rolls have plumb flavourings/casing applied and quite heavily at that.

So I suppose what Im asking is, is the sweetness I loved about DNR unique to that particular blend or is it a characteristic of perique in general in which case it can be found in all VaPers?
I was under the assumption that DNR is one of the quintessential vapers, but does the added flavouring make it uncharacteristic of the blend type?

Also, on a secondary note, Ive never had coin cut before so thats taken some getting used to. DNR really benefited from drying out, my first bowl was far too wet but even after drying Im having trouble with the roll and stuff method.
Is there a benefit to smoking coins in there intact form rather than rubbing out?
It seems like a shame to ruin the lovely shape!

Thanks for reading, have a great day all

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I haven't smoked Navy Rolls yet myself but I find VaPers to typically be a sweeter smoke ...I am partial to Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and Bullseye Flake, Solani 633, C&D Sunday Picnic (some great orientals in the mix here with the Va and Per) and Esoterica Dunbar (tho I smoke this stuff sparingly).

In general, from what I have read about Navy Rolls, I think you'd probably like a lot/most of the VaPers out there. Can't recommend the Stokkebye ones enough.

Some people swear by smoking the coins whole but I have had better luck with smaller spun cut blends for that...with the larger ones I personally rub them out and then let it dry a bit. But, that's just me, ymmv.

Cheers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All very appetizing. I have a tin of DNR, so maybe I can put that toward the head of the line. My pace of tobacco use is glacial, so I probably have a ten year supply in my modest stash.

Reactions: Dimitri

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
High quality Virginia tobacco is naturally high in sugar. High quality Perique tobacco is sweet and 'fruity' in taste. So, a high quality VaPer, like Dunhill (Peterson) Deluxe Navy Rolls is naturally sweet and fruity. Deluxe Navy Rolls has no topping of any sort -- you're tasting the tobacco as it presents itself when properly cured, blended, and aged.

You've started near the top of the pile, so it's hard to recommend anything better. But, if you must, Marlin Flake, Gold Blend 71, Solani Silver Flake, and SG St. James Flake all play in this same 'yard.'

My reference standard these days is KBV Retrodrive.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Deluxe Navy Rolls has no topping of any sort -- you're tasting the tobacco as it presents itself when properly cured, blended, and aged.
This is simply not true.......... DNR does indeed contain licorice, prune juice and other flavorings.......
DNR Ingredients

I usually can taste the plum/prune when I smoke DNR, but maybe it's because I know it's there??..........?‍♂️

Last edited:

Dimitri

Lurker
Jul 2, 2020
St. Helens, England
This is simply not true.......... DNR does indeed contain licorice, prune juice and other flavorings.......
DNR Ingredients

What an interesting link!
Only Dunhill to choose from as far as pipe tobaccoo goes, but some great information.

I noticed that the other Dunhill/Peterson VaPer, Elizabethan Mixture, lists no additives or flavourings whatsoever
So the 2 must differ significantly

Reactions: BROBS

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Navy Rolls is kind of leathery to me in flavor, where Elizabethan is a sharper blend - the virginia and perique stand out more as components. It tastes good, but I don't find it too similar to the rolls at all.

Reactions: Dimitri and BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Va/Pers are usually a little spicy, almost peppery. In my limited experience with the genre, I really like Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. It's a regular in my rotation, and it's cheap and available in bulk. I'm one of those who just buys whatever tobacco I like without looking for a "good deal" (because IMO, pipe tobacco is cheap as hell, so smoke what you like), and Luxury Navy Flake is one of the few cheap bulk blends that has a prominent place in my tobacco rotation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
to put it one way you like that one, try some others. Honestly I've not encountered any single iteration of that style hasn't gone into the reorder pile. It's weird they're all different but similar enough to enjoy them all but also to think man it's been too long since I've had this one.

Reactions: Dimitri and BROBS

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Navy Rolls aren't very sweet IMO. I think Elizabethan is the only va/per I've tried that is less sweet.
The prune or plum essence in Navy Rolls is not intended as a flavor in itself, but as a flavor enhancer to the acid and fruity properties of the va/per mix.
I think Navy Rolls are best rubbed out or at least broken apart a little. The rolls are very dense and hard to keep lit otherwise.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Va/Pers are usually a little spicy, almost peppery. In my limited experience with the genre, I really like Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. It's a regular in my rotation, and it's cheap and available in bulk. I'm one of those who just buys whatever tobacco I like without looking for a "good deal" (because IMO, pipe tobacco is cheap as hell, so smoke what you like), and Luxury Navy Flake is one of the few cheap bulk blends that has a prominent place in my tobacco rotation.
Ditto on the LNF. For whatever reason, I'm indifferent to all other VaPers that I've tried so far.

I rub it out. Folding leaves too many air gaps in the chamber for me. Feels like I'm sucking air.

OP's report on the Dunhill makes me want to try it. Good review!

Reactions: lawdawg and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ditto on the LNF. For whatever reason, I'm indifferent to all other VaPers that I've tried so far.

I rub it out. Folding leaves too many air gaps in the chamber for me. Feels like I'm sucking air.
Or the opposite if you jam them in... way too tight.

Reactions: mingc

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If you liked the sweetness, I recommend Marlin Flake and Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake as VaPers on the sweeter side.

Reactions: mingc
May 2, 2020
Louisiana

OP's report on the Dunhill makes me want to try it. Good review!
The best way I’ve found for smoking whole flakes is to use a deep-chambered pipe, and sort of loosely roll up the flake in the long direction, like you were rolling up a newspaper, and insert the rolled up flake into the pipe. It’ll give you a nice long smoke.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
So now you're strong arming meinto some Peterson Navy Rolls. Crap. Also, I figured BROBS would mention the Graham Cracker scent of Newminster 400, although Straight Virginia not a VaPer. The sweetness is really present in the Peter Stokkebye LNF and LBF as mentioned already, especially for the price. Capstan Original Navy Flake is another Straight Virginia that even fresh is like a lightly combustible powdered sugar smoke wafting in and around the sensory receptors. Rub them out, break apart, fold and stuff or however you like, just get them in the pipe and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.