PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I have pounds and pounds of McClelland aros in my cellar.

What is the going rate for them (bulk aros) if I were to sell them in the classifieds? I mean... I know what VAs and their tins go for but not a clue on these.

Reactions: rushx9
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Me either. I'm not an aro fan so they're worth near nothing to me. However, find the right person and they likely will bring a decent price. I wouldn't think what the Va's go for but somewhat more than what they sold for when available. Let's face it, somebody had to smoke them back in the day so you'd think they'd pay a modest premium to smoke them now.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Me either. I'm not an aro fan so they're worth near nothing to me. However, find the right person and they likely will bring a decent price. I wouldn't think what the Va's go for but somewhat more than what they sold for when available. Let's face it, somebody had to smoke them back in the day so you'd think they'd pay a modest premium to smoke them now.
They’re really good aros I just don’t see myself running through like 5-6 lbs of aros anytime soon. especially with all the other stuff I’ve got to smoke.

I mean I figure they are worth more than I paid but I don’t know how to place a value on them.
Like $10 per ounce? I’d have to look back on how much they cost new I can’t remember.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ok it cost less than I thought it was like $2.25 per oz! Dang.
so maybe more like $5 per.

Reactions: Bowie
McClelland had some really good aromatics, and some mouth scalding crap. It really depends. Their Virginia Cavendish was really good. Their fruity crap was just fruity crap, IMO. You'll probably have to experiment with pricing. If you have an of their aromatic bulk Virginia flakes or Deep Hollow, I'd be willing to consider...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The walnut liqueur was purchased after they closed. SPC offered some McClellands to those who had purchased before they closed.

Oct 7, 2016
Rule of thumb that used to make sense and was commonly used for tins was double current retail price if something comparable was still on the market, plus maybe some additional premium for age if it was more a few years old.

Bulk aromatics are a different breed altogether. I think the fact that they are made by McClelland and you can document that should help you get at least double your purchase price, likely a little more. Past that? I have no clue.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Rule of thumb that used to make sense and was commonly used for tins was double current retail price if something comparable was still on the market, plus maybe some additional premium for age if it was more a few years old.

Bulk aromatics are a different breed altogether. I think the fact that they are made by McClelland and you can document that should help you get at least double your purchase price, likely a little more. Past that? I have no clue.
Not trying to get past that just a fair price for myself and buyer.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Well there you go... just include the walking stick in the sale (except call it The Staff Of Destiny). Paste some hobbit photos on the jars. You know, do it like C&D does, make it seem like special amazing rare shit. I'd say the sky's the limit price wise.
Also free pear-wood Churchwarden

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9 and Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.