PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Absolutely enjoying this new to me smoking hobby. I have been smoking mainly VAs and VaPers, but after going off of aromatics pretty much a friend recently brought me a tin of Sørensen Mixture from Norway and it reminded me that the adventures of discovery in pipe smoking never ends. A+ Great stuff and probably the best aromatic I have ever smoked!

Anyhow, I would like to venture into VaBurs next. I have got a small sample of Esoterica Tobacciana - Stonehaven, so I am looking for a few others to try along side it. Any Suggestions?

Happy new year and pipe smoking!

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
Absolutely enjoying this new to me smoking hobby. I have been smoking mainly VAs and VaPers, but after going off of aromatics pretty much a friend recently brought me a tin of Sørensen Mixture from Norway and it reminded me that the adventures of discovery in pipe smoking never ends. A+ Great stuff and probably the best aromatic I have ever smoked!

Anyhow, I would like to venture into VaBurs next. I have got a small sample of Esoterica Tobacciana - Stonehaven, so I am looking for a few others to try along side it. Any Suggestions?

Happy new year and pipe smoking!
I am also interested in trying a VaBur mix or two. I have enjoyed the few VaPers I've tried. Now apparantly, I need to break out yet again and experience new horizons.
TAD is a real phenomenon! No cure in sight...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is the list of Virginia Burley/Kentucky blends in my cellar.
Solani Silver Flake
Peterson Perfect Plug
GL Pease Navigator
Petersons Irish Flake
Peterson University Flake
Esoterica Stonehaven
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

Jun 9, 2018
England
E.A. Carey's Dark Flake No. 7
According to their website it's a 'heat treated Virginia and Burley flake, matured in the press for 8 weeks to allow the natural prune and chocolate notes to come through.'
All I know is it's a fairly strong, really lovely vabur that I don't often see people mention on the forum.
Apparently it's made to the same recipe as (the now discontinued) John Sinclair's Highland Sliced. I can't comment on that though as I never got to try it.

Reactions: docrameous

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A real down home version to burn in your cobs, try Russ O.'s Log Cabin. If I remember correctly, it is a Va/Bur/Cav. That is also an excellent home mix any time you have all the ingredients on hand, to play around with proportions. For starters, three parts burley, to two parts Virginia, to one part Cavendish (plain unflavored black if you have it). But you can vary it a lot, with just a smidgen of Cavendish, etc., or more of a Va base.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It does end.

Embers, it's time for new photos, you've been milking this set for too long. We need the 2020 version of your cellar. And please include a copy of today's New York Times in each photo so we know you're not cheating us. (We require authentication on everyone's cellar claims you know).

Reactions: vates and Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.