PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I would like a discussion on this and any work around, for instance could a private seller buy said pipe tobacco, I am looking for plum pudding and nowhere in the state sales it, and ship it and be legally allowed?

Last edited by a moderator:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just have it shipped to your friend out of state and have them mail it to you. Unless they are physically blocking your IP address from accessing a site to order from, I think that would be the way to go.

Or, you could have it shipped to a P.O. Box in a town just over a state line and drive over and pick it up.

Reactions: BROBS and kg.legat0

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No internet orders? How about ordering by phone or mail? Otherwise, if you are near a state line, the post office box is an option, but also an expense, the box and the gas. Over time, you might work a deal with a professional traveler that regularly comes through. Or plan an annual trip to the nearest brick and mortar, and try to combine it with recreational travel (vacationing). Meantime, compose a non-emotional one page letter spelling out your grievance, and send it to your state legislator and legislative leadership, and do that every three months until the end of time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any loopholes or wiggle room here, like viewing on a web site and then ordering by phone or even by mail? Is it the online ordering or the postal delivery that is verboten? There are lots of neighboring states; what an opportunity for convenience store owners near your border -- Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada -- oh, the opportunity! When one door closes, another opens for someone.

Oct 7, 2016
I don’t know who all carries Plum Pudding, but the law has read the same since it was passed in 2009. To my knowledge, not all of the usual on line sellers have put Utah on their “we can’t ship to...”. list. Find a lower profile seller, order a bunch on line without bringing up the subject yourself, and see what happens. If you read the underlying statute, the penalties are on the seller, not the consumer. Just keep silent if you succeed.

Oct 7, 2016
Did they ban Internet sales of tobacco or did they ban mail shipments of tobacco products to Utah? If they only banned “Internet sales”, just use the phone.
Everything. The law is not recent, and the in terorrem warnings started in 2019. The link provided by @Akousticplyr contains a link to the actual statute. Laws similar to this were passed by a number of states in the 2008-2010 time frame, but actual enforcement has, except for Washington State, been sporadic.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I believe most states have such laws. My browser always warns me of that fact when I'm buying tobacco on the.... er, um,

Never mind....

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those who travel out of state for business at all regularly could order and have them shipped for pick-up at your hotel; just give the hotel a heads up. This is standard with business meeting supplies, or a convention center, though the hotel is better because they have your reservation by name.

Status
Not open for further replies.