PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
DSC_0020_zpshbpl2wzc.jpg

Several years ago, long before any of my welding or glassworking escapades, I found a little old wrench in my great-grandfather's workshop. Using his old framing hammer and bench vise, I banged that wrench into a ring. I remember listening to Shel Silverstein music and watching the sun come up while I rounded out the band of the ring. Every few years since, I have made another ring for myself.
On the far left is my railroad-spike ring. Band is new steel stock that I bent and hammered into shape. I took a slice out of a railroad spike and welded it to the band. The surface of the slice was smooth after cutting but I wanted it to look like the exterior of an old railroad spike, so I gave it a hammered finish.
Next to that is the wrench-ring described above.
Third from the left is my square-nail ring. The nail was already quite old before I bent it out of shape; I found it in the hardware collection of my mother's godmother's father. He was a Depression-era dad, never threw anything away, and she maintained his odds and ends until passing. After she died, I inherited much of the hoard.
Far right is the only ring that I didn't make. It was given to my grandfather by my grandmother when they were engaged in 1961 or '62. He gave me the ring a few days ago, just before the move to MN.
Finally, the only non-ring piece of jewelry I wear; the necklace. My grandfather gave me his coin collection some years ago, he'd gathered it over the years and on various trips around the world. In the collection were two coins that already had holes in them: an 1838 2 Pence from Great Britain and an 1825 United Kingdom Penny. Wearing those, I always know I'm holding onto the oldest thing in the room, or else I'm in the presence of something quite interesting!
So, now that I've showed off... What shiny stuff do you hang on yourself?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I only wear a wedding ring and a watch. All the bling went in a burglary years ago and I haven't replaced any of it. They caught the perps, and retrieved some of the loot, but the bling was gone gone. Must have been quite a street saie.

May 4, 2015
I can't even tolerate wearing a wedding ring. I've attempted various watches, but again, they seem to get in the way. I had my ears pierced in 3rd grade and my grandfather exclaimed "GOOD! I've always wanted a granddaughter." That was the end of that.
Tattoos only for me.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Wedding ring only here. I have a strange thing about watches or really anything touching my wrist. If a shirt sleeve is too tight around my wrist its a no go. Its just one of my quarks.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I enjoyed the history of the pieces. Thank you for sharing, hm.
The only jewlery I wear on a somewhat frequent basis is my wedding band (tungsten w/carbon fiber inlay) my wrist watch (Invicta chrome/silver) and an earring (even more rare, these days). As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of gold or too shiny.
I do dig silver on my pipe bands, though!

i have a thing for moku-game with golds and maybe a contrast with silver. But, I have a few 18k rings, chains, and such. As a jeweler with a dad that was a jeweler I always got jewelry for birthdays and Christmas growing up :::sigh::: when I really wanted a new motorcycle or anything else, ha ha. But, the things I wear the most are lapel pins. But, as I no longer have a B&M store, I probably won't have much call for wearing my dress jackets.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
St. Christopher's medal and wedding ring, unless I go outside the house & then a watch.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Thanks, hmhaines. While reading your post I remembered that my grandfather used to make me rings out of square nails (in Tennessee we called them horseshoe nails) when I was very small. I had forgotten all about it. Of course that was over forty years ago so I guess I am lucky to have remembered it at all.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
sjmiller, they probably were horseshoe nails! I got one of those rings on a vacation when I was a kid, it was what I had thought of the first time I saw a square nail!

Cliff_K

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2016
Ferron, Utah
Where I live horseshoe rings are called prairie diamonds. My wife and I wore some as wedding rings for a few years after our original rings were stolen. Now I wear a wedding band that I never take off and earrings on occasion. Oh and a tie tack when I have occasion to wear a tie.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I'm planning on getting at least one tattoo, just can't decide on what to do. Don't want to get inked when tbere's even a hint of indecision!

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
They'd be awesome to incorporate into a wooden tamper, either as a pommel or as the actual tamping end!

Status
Not open for further replies.