PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The U.S. Postal Service warned Thursday that it will likely default on up to $6.9 billion in payments for future retiree health and pension benefits for the fifth straight year, citing a coming cash crunch that could disrupt day-to-day mail delivery.
After a 10-year review, the regulatory commission appears likely to give the Postal Service more flexibility to raise rates, marking the biggest change in its pricing system in nearly a half-century. The commission might limit how high prices could go, but the cost of a first-class stamp, now 49 cents, could jump. It's not known how much.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_POSTAL_SERVICE_FINANCES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-08-10-15-38-47
Oops.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Some of the problem could be solved if they would hire people who take pride in their work and do the job properly and also taking less time. My regular carrier is extremely pro union and he takes his sweet time each day. When the weekly temp comes on the regular's day off, the mail is delivered earlier and no mail needs returned due to being placed in the wrong box

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The temp may simply travel the route differently. There is no faster or slower, there is only getting it done in the prescribed amount of time. You may be at the beginning of route, the end of the route or, somewhere in between. Of course, that all goes out the window during the Christmas season.
The USPS may be run poorly, might be understaffed, under financed or whatever. I've yet to find a cheaper method to send a package/letter either down the street or half way around the world. They've even got UPS and the others sometimes flying my mail without additional postage.
They do what they do efficiently and cheaply. Considering the amount of mail they deliver, they do it with a surprisingly small margin of error. I can only speak for myself, I get 5 to 15 pieces, six days a week and only find two or 3 mis-delivered in a year. Hell, I make that many mistakes in a day while doing less, a lot less.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
As someone who does business by mail on a regular basis I must say that USPS is leagues above all other alternatives in terms of both price and speed. Some of you may disagree, but this is my personal opinion based on years of personal experience. These unfunded liabilities and promises are the scourge of our nation. It can't continue and to that end I hope USPS gets its shit in order. The rob Paul to pay Peter paradigm simply can't continue or they will be wiped out by competition who are willing to d9 it cheaper. I will continue to use USPS whenever possible simply because there is no better alternative. Fed ex and ups will also raise their prices if USPS does, and they will continue to offer inferior service. It's all rigged.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I also print and ship from home. It couldn't be any easier. It COULD be a little cheaper. Especially international packages. But the USPS is the best thing going regardless.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a long-time heavy user of the postal system, to stay up with family and ship gifts, beside professional mailings and returns and other packages to family. I've always suspected that a serious percentage of the bad rap they get is generated by customer mistakes, putting mis-addressed items off on the system. I've had a few pieces vaporized in transit, but rarely. I have had good luck with UPS as well, though it is pricier. Fed Ex to me is not price friendly. I think they work for companies under contract for acceptable prices, but not for the walk-in customer. I'm sorry to hear USPS will crank up the prices again, but I'm used to that over the years. Better that (to a point) than have it close, from my point of view.
A second USPS issue is it's closing of postal stations in rural U.S. These places are important to the sense of community in the countryside, and when one closes, little towns become crossroads, and crossroads become nothing. Post offices can't be operated as community centers, but when they close, public contact and a sense of place is terminated.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's hard to beat sending a small package across the US for about $4.

The USPS is puzzling and I guess as in any large entity, they have plenty of folks who don't give a crap.
A few years ago, I had a college kid who worked for me every summer. One summer, he said he could only work at nights, but because he got a job at our local post office. He was given four hours to deliver the mail on his route. He finished in two hours on the first two days, and went back to the Post Office. On the third day, he came to work and said he could work day or night. I asked him what happened. He said on the 2nd day, two of the carriers said to not come back until his four hour time frame was up. On the 3rd day, when he returned completed after two hours, four guys pulled him into a room and threatened him if he came back any less than four hours time. So, he quit.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A second USPS issue is it's closing of postal stations in rural U.S. These places are important to the sense of community in the countryside, and when one closes, little towns become crossroads, and crossroads become nothing. Post offices can't be operated as community centers, but when they close, public contact and a sense of place is terminated.
I feel the same way about the loss of community bookstores and coffee shops.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You gotta love that union mentality. If one guy works efficiently, he ruins it for the "feather bedders."
I bet they could raise the rates more than they plan and subsidize some of the unneeded post offices. The question is, "Do we want that?" In the final analyses I suspect the answer is... a loud and definitive NO!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
You could equally love the don't fund infrastructure mentality and privatize everything mentality. Which are the root causes of the postal service's problems.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You gotta love that union mentality. If one guy works efficiently, he ruins it for the "feather bedders."
This is my impression as well. They get the Jimmy Hoffa award for creative interpretation of duty.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
My Post Lady really hates me :evil: ! For just about everything I order I always opt for the USPS, because it's cheap and efficient. So, on some days she has a bunch of packages to handle. Also, when I order something the estimated delivery date will be one thing, but it will always arrive way before that date. The original date was quite reasonable to begin with, so it wasn't like they were trying to make it look extra special with the earlier delivery. What a great service!
No, actually the Post Lady is very nice. She's an absolute sweetheart!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We may use 2 rolls of tamps a year. If the price of first class mail goes up 3 cents it'll cost us $6.00/year more. It's worth $6.00 to continue Saturday deliveries.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's not just stamps. It's shipping as well. And you will pay for this, since other businesses that you rely on are relying on it.
I like the post office, but a combination of benefits policies and political agendas has gutted it as far as quality goes in many areas, and we see it first here in the big cities, but it will trickle outward to you.
I forget how most of us have very small worlds.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I think it's funny when anyone suggests that people in any work environment should work more efficiently. Why should they? In around the 1960's to 70's businesses were just starting to realize that making a quality product was not profitable. Companies started turning out more cheap products because of the realization that quality costs more money and people didn't want to spend more. In the case of the post office and from a different perspective, the product being sold to USPS is a mail carrier's time. I can drag that thought out for pages but some will get the gist and that's alright.

Also, if you understand how our money is actually created, you'll recognize that our entire monetary system is based on debt. Our dollars, paper or electronic, only have the value our society puts on it. There's nothing backing it up anywhere. In the scheme of things, it's worthless. Since society puts such a large amount of value on money the USPS can charge anything they want for a stamp to in turn pay their workers for X amount of work.

Personally, I am hopeful that society would realize how worthless our money actually is and say, "Hey, money is worthless. Let us replace it with pipe tobacco, or a quality product or quality work." There is nothing to stop that from happening except our fear of losing the dollar.

As for people having a good and efficient work ethic for worthless paper or worthless numbers in an account.. why?

As for me, I'd work my ass off and fingers to the bone for a few pounds of Dark Star and Condor Plug.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
You can also add Royal Yacht to that list of "happy fluffie payment options". That stuff is pretty damn good.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Companies started turning out more cheap products because of the realization that quality costs more money and people didn't want to spend more.
May have to do with the broadening of the consumer franchise.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Certainly experienced that years ago in my industry, but it's been pretty much long gone. The people I work with work hard, produce, or they don't get hired. Mine is a project based industry with little long term employment. So if you can't perform, you're out on your ass. Word gets around, and after a while you're finished. Might not be a bad way for the workplace to go, and this kind of arrangement is growing. Lazy leeches will get kicked to the curb where they can die off or shape up, and the most ruthless, or talented, can rise.
It's also not just unions. Lazy leeches can be found in offices, stores, boardrooms, schools, pipe forums, all manner of workplaces, pretty much everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.