PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd11

Lurker
May 8, 2014
Well I tried pipe smoking about 2 yrs ago. Totally overwhelmed with TAD and PAD left me confused and an overall bad experience. So I packed it all away. Don't get me wrong I really liked it, but never found myself relaxed and enjoying it. My fault totally . So this time I'll just be taking a bunch of steps back , slowing down and most importantly not overthink things.. Just relax and enjoy...

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Welcome back to the briar... Or meer... Or cob... You are right not to overthink the whole thing. Or maybe you underthunk it last time? Either way sip and enjoy then endless possibilities! What drew you to the pipe?

jd11

Lurker
May 8, 2014
Thanks again. I always liked smelling my uncle and grandfathers pipes being smoked as a kid. So I figured I'd give it a try and hopefully get rid of cigarettes.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
jd11 said:

I figured I'd give it a try and

hopefully get rid of cigarettes.
That worked for me, but unintentionally ... I'd always been fascinated by the IDEA of smoking a pipe, though I'm not sure why ... during college years, I had a cheapo pipe and tried all the drugstore tobaccos in it, but didn't enjoy the experience at all ... it was after I got out in the 'real' world where a co-worker had a pipe that he smoked on the job pretty much constantly ... I told him I had a pipe, but didn't like it all that much - he said bring it in and let me look at it ... after seeing it, he told me it was garbage, but removed the stinger it had in it in a somewhat desperate attempt to improve it ... doing so didn't help, but going to the shop he recommended and getting a quality pipe did ... still, it took a bit of experimenting before I landed on a blend that I really liked a lot ... that fortuitous combination is what freed me to give away more than half of the last pack of cigs I ever bought and never look back for a second ... just more than 42 years and counting ago ...

birddog

Lurker
May 25, 2014
Very good read. Need to really heed this advice w/o overthinking the slowing down part.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Cigarette smokers do tend to smoke fast, so you'll have to find the way to smoke a pipe that satisfies your needs yet still is a pleasant sensory experience. Enjoy the journey and be patient.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Welcome back. Great attitude. It should be a relaxing, peaceful experience. You're doing good in stepping back and taking it slow. It will come together. This is the BEST place to learn. Best of luck. :puffpipe:

jd11

Lurker
May 8, 2014
Thanks for the welcome backs.. Work has been crazy this week so I only got 1 bowl of CH in so far. and not too bad now that I refuse to let the relights get to me. 1 more day of work, so between 4:30 tomorrow and Monday morning I'm hoping to get a bunch of bowls in.. gotta work on that bowl packing and puff timing...

Aug 14, 2012
Just fill the pipe and smoke it. It is made so much of a thing online that it becomes intimidating to newcomers. Remember, just fill and smoke. If you don't like the taste get a different tobacco. If that doesn't work get a better pipe.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Welcome back. It is easy to get caught up in the fray. There is a lot of talk about the subtleties of this blend and that, and whether the new version of something is the same as it was 20 years ago, and about expensive hand crafted pipes and . . . And you have to worry if you don't smoke every bowl to "fine, white ash" and when you need more than two matches for a bowl you've somehow failed and, damn, my pipe is gurgling again.
But, all you need is a couple of pipes (because most would agree that some rest between smokes, for the pipes, not you, is important), and couple of blends, some pipe cleaners, a czech tool and some fire. And a place to relax. So what if you use a couple of extra matches to re-light? So what if you need to use a pipe cleaner because you get a bit of gurgle? And, it matters naught that you can't tell the difference between smyrna and izmir when you do a blind taste test. It's not a contest.
In time, your packing will improve, and you'll use fewer matches. And your pipe will gurgle less so you'll go through fewer pipe cleaners. Over time, if you try different blends, you'll start to notice subtle differences. Or, maybe you'll be one of those one or two blend guys. That's OK too.
The pipe is for relaxing -- it is not a chore. As long as the fire stays in the bowl, and the bowl is not too hot to touch, it is all ok. You'll get better at it. And while it may not be a contest, we are all winners in the end: sitting in a favorite spot, nice bowl of tobacco, slowing down and appreciating life -- what more can one ask? Relax and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.