PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Has anyone tried cutting/chopping cigars to smoke in a pipe?
I have an extensive cigar collection and got a wild idea to try cutting a bowl size piece from a Churchill and maybe add a bit of stoved Virginia and latakia to see what's what. My preference is for full bodied cigars, like LFD, Padron, etc. I figure that starting with a tasty cigar may lead to something really good and would surely result in a strong pipe smoke.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have. I have a jar of cut Nicaraguan leaf from a Padron Londres that I sacrificed back 5 years ago or so, along with a Cuban Partagas. I never had much success blending them, but I'm just not a skilled blender, I guess. My one semi I success story was adding some to a bulk bag of 965 that I didn't care for. The cigar leaf made the blend fuller and creamer.

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Long ago and far away when I lived in California and Davidoff had a store on Rodeo Drive, I purchased a tin of pipe tobacco that was made from cigar leaf.

it definitely tasted and smelled like cigar. . .so much so, my wife who doesn’t mind pipe tobacco wouldn’t let me smoke it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have retained the butt and left it outside for a few days on a table, expanded metal. Rain washed it, dried, so I sliced it up. Mixed it and smoked it. Not bad...

Reactions: danimalia

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have some Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey tobacco cutoffs that was supposedly packaged and sold in a limited capacity as pipe tobacco. Been meaning to blend with it to at least spice up a couple boring straight virginias.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think cigar leaf as a condiment, available from C&D among other places, is a good mix with pipe blends and quite good on its own. Cutting up cigars for this purpose is probably not the best approach. Cigars are crafted with a wrapper leaf and cigar blends to give a quality smoke as a cigar, but no pipe is going to deliver that. Cigar leaf is just pleasantly mild and reminiscent of the cigar scent, but not a cigar experience. If you crave a cigar, smoke one.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I ordered some cigarillo's that tasted pretty good, but I couldn't get used to the quick smoke and they burned a little hot, so I sliced them up and occasionally add them to various blends to give them a little extra body and nicotine.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I tried it with a Cuban cigar, straight then blended. It wasn’t very good. I do like The Bankers that has cigar leaf.

You should try it. Because.
yeah that's a great one that I don't hear enough people talking about. Weird thing about it people will compliment the way it smells all the time while admitting to being confused by why it smells so good to them.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yeah, the Partagas I cut up had a badly cracked foot and what felt like an impossible draw pre-light, so I sacrificed it. Interesting that virtually nobody on this thread reports much success, including myself. People have mentioned the difference between finished cigars and blending cigar leaf, and I think that's part of it. Even a Puro cigar made with tobacco from one country will have different seed types and printings from the plant. So they are blends themselves and might make isolating for a specific flavor trait more difficult.

You should still do it, though, if you're interested. For science. And just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.