PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And look at the green hue the skull has picked up! Terrific!
Probably picked up some of the greenery of my heavily forested back yard. I like to keep a mirror finish on my smooth meerschaums by tshirt buffing them after smoking them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
In the early 1950's scientist found that all current commercial waxes based on the usual natural waxes (beeswax and carnauba wax, and so on) contained acids which in time would spoil the finish of wooden furniture. They designed a micro-crystalline wax for long-term protection of all classes of museum exhibits. Commercial production and distribution of the polish was ultimately undertaken in 1968 by the London-based company Picreator Enterprises Ltd. under its trade name Renaissance Wax.

It has a crystalline structure much finer than totally natural waxes and it enhances the grain or 'flame' patterns. Repeated use of the wax deepens the lustre of my pipes reflecting more light from surfaces and making them more lively. Compared to your suggestion of natural beeswax, the Renaissance Wax has a silk-smooth touch once buffed and it doesn’t leave polishing trails like the softer beeswax polishes do. Make sure you apply it sparingly and with your fingers (somehow it gives better results). After about 5 minutes buff it out with a polishing cloth. It has worked miracles on my pipes. I have been using it for a long time.

Reactions: RobNYC

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm afraid I'm in the "what's good enough for me" category. I just hand polish my pipes after each smoke with a paper towel and the occasional soft cloth. My crotchety notion is that waxes and polishes just deposit residue that has to be polished off later. The desire to make pipes look forever brand new has never beset me. I know, I know. This is a geezer attitude, but that's how I do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm afraid I'm in the "what's good enough for me" category. I just hand polish my pipes after each smoke with a paper towel and the occasional soft cloth. My crotchety notion is that waxes and polishes just deposit residue that has to be polished off later. The desire to make pipes look forever brand new has never beset me. I know, I know. This is a geezer attitude, but that's how I do.
Not necessarily geezer!

Some younger guys here clean their pipes only when absolutely necessary and others clean their pipes fully after each smoke, remove all oxidation, and oil and/or wax their pipes each time. Some of each school populate across the age range.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just wondering, I’m going to try the Renaissance wax, what would y’all suggest to buff with, i don’t have a drill or anything for a buffing wheel, would you use microfiber cloths or something else? Thanks in advance!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just wondering, I’m going to try the Renaissance wax, what would y’all suggest to buff with, i don’t have a drill or anything for a buffing wheel, would you use microfiber cloths or something else? Thanks in advance!
Power tools would strip it right off. Just buff it with a tshirt.

Reactions: jpmcwjr