PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I got a new-to-me Peterson Aran last week and the logo is too far gone for my normal acrylic paint repair scenario.

While I could send it to Walker Repair or someone else for a new “P” logo, I’m wondering if anyone has tried to make a stencil of a logo and used that to paint on the stem?

It wouldn’t be a forever fix, but I’m curious to know if it would be effective at all! Has anyone tried it? If so, any tips?

Since you’re asking the question, I assume you haven’t thought it through on how you’d do this.
there are foils made for graphic designers that heat seals when heat is applied. This would work if you had a logo carved into a hallmark, but this gets expensive for just one pipe.

The problem with a stencil is that you’d have to have chads that held the two half circles in place, which would throw the design off, plus…. The size you would have to cut it out.
You could print it onto some clear self-stick printer overhead sheets. But again, the size you’d have to cut it out once applied to the stem…. you’d need magnfiers, an exacto, and a very steady hand.
If you had a steady hand, magnifiers, and a tiny liner brush, you could just paint it on.
Or, get a rubber stamp made. That would be a tad cheaper than a hallmark…. Then there is choosing a paint that’d stick to the stamp and transfer to the slick stem, and still be opaque.
But, all in all, it’s probably still cheaper to have someone else do this that has the tools, experience, and ability.
Just my $0.02

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I needs restamped, paint on just a spot on the stem won't stay very long. You already know the acrylic paint fix (I use acrylic nail polish), but that has to fill in the P impression. Perhaps George D can restamp a stem?

Reactions: DotAndBang’sPipes

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I needs restamped, paint on just a spot on the stem won't stay very long. You already know the acrylic paint fix (I use acrylic nail polish), but that has to fill in the P impression. Perhaps George D can restamp a stem?
Just now saw this.

Yup, for any type of paint to stay it must fill a sharp-edged indent/impression.

While stummels can be stamped by hand, stem materials cannot. They are is too hard. (Heat only makes a mess of things in other ways... don't go there.)

Stem stamping must be mechanical. A simple press won't work, though, because BOTH the stamp and the stem must be set up to move in a controlled way (the stamp side-to-side; the stem rotate/roll).

In short, it is deceptively difficult to do.

Here's a breakdown of a "home grown" method that DOES work, for anyone interested:

Reactions: DotAndBang’sPipes