PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I purchased one a couple of years ago and wasn't crazy about it, so I sold it to another forum member.

Mine was a black international stem with a rusticated snifter bowl. Maybe it was the combination of stem and bowl, but I thought it was ugly.

I would consider another, maybe a colored twisted stem.

Reactions: edger

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
If public sightings are anything to go by, then they're the most popular pipe here in the UK & Ireland. There's pros & cons like everything else but I don't think you'd be dissapointed with one. Bantam bowls are a 'must' with Falcons, Apple-Algiers-Dublin being my favourites & are what I'd strongly reccomend.
image.jpeg

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Falcons are great pipes. They have all their bowls they make and then there are other manufactuers that make their own bowls for them. 1 pipe with a few bowls and you never have to worry about ghosting. Also they really are the dryest smoke you can have.

If you purchase one, i’d recommend 4Noggins. They have 2 starter kits. Bent and straight with 2 bowls for the cheapest around. Usually the kits go for 80-90$.

If you want all the options, buy from GQtobacco and make your own starter kit. Theres a lot of options on there. Definately get one and try it out. If you don’t like it, they are very easy to trade or sell.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
If public sightings are anything to go by, then they're the most popular pipe here in the UK & Ireland. There's pros & cons like everything else but I don't think you'd be dissapointed with one. Bantam bowls are a 'must' with Falcons, Apple-Algiers-Dublin being my favourites & are what I'd strongly reccomend.
View attachment 160137
I have never liked the look of falcons, but I've always enjoyed the "idea" of them. Probably something I should investigate at some point. I had one without a mouthpiece. It also turned me off that they don't thread in, and can't be replaced so easily.

However this one pictures looks awesome.
Who sells them?

Reactions: edger and romaso

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I bought a couple of them a few years ago mainly out of curiosity, and the fact that my neighbor smoked one back in the 1960’s.

The bowls, gaskets are a PITA.

My opinion is that they would be easier to use if there was more thread engagement between the stem and bowl. The 1/4 turn or less of engagement along with relatively fine threads makes it frustrating to screw the bowl on. The gaskets are too thick and do t always seal well.

On one of the pipes I bought, the draft was plugged with casting flash. I emailed the manufacturer, got one response, saying maybe we can replace that… then never heard from them again. I drilled it out. I guess that was an “80%” stem.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
View attachment 160137
I can see why they're popular there as they are very affordable. This is just the first UK shop that came up in my search:
Falcon Pipes - Tobacco Pipes from GQ Tobaccos - Page 2
Even with the current strong dollar I'd be paying noticeably more for one here.
BTW, what distingushes a 'Bantam' bowl from others? Thanks!

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I've been amongst Falcon users for 50 years....since I was a laddie in Scotland. I love them. My newest one is a sexy black beauty which I bought here in Argentina.....it certainly attracts the senoritas.

20220721-175402.jpg

Piping Abe

Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I can see why they're popular there as they are very affordable. This is just the first UK shop that came up in my search:
Falcon Pipes - Tobacco Pipes from GQ Tobaccos - Page 2
Even with the current strong dollar I'd be paying noticeably more for one here.
BTW, what distingushes a 'Bantam' bowl from others? Thanks!

Bantam is smaller. A bantam stem is shorter. And a bantam bowl is smaller. Both are interchangeable with regular Falcon stems. I believe that Falcon also discontinued the Bantam line so it’ll have to be purchased second hand.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Bantam is smaller. A bantam stem is shorter. And a bantam bowl is smaller. Both are interchangeable with regular Falcon stems. I believe that Falcon also discontinued the Bantam line so it’ll have to be purchased second hand.
Are the bent ones comfortable when clenching? On most of my bent pipes the mouthpiece is parallel with the top of the bowl, but on the Falcon photos I've seen, the mouthpiece seems to angle upward.

And also, is there any problem with liquid condensing in the metal base and travelling up the stem? I thought a bent might help prevent that, if it's a problem.

The bowls seem to vary a good bit in size. Luckily I found a good guide to them:
Falcon Pipes #1 Guide [Infograph] - Create a 7-day set - TobaccoPipes.com
Thanks for the info! May have to get one!

1659391133286.png

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Are the bent ones comfortable when clenching? On most of my bent pipes the mouthpiece is parallel with the top of the bowl, but on the Falcon photos I've seen, the mouthpiece seems to angle upward.

And also, is there any problem with liquid condensing in the metal base and travelling up the stem? I thought a bent might help prevent that, if it's a problem.

The bowls seem to vary a good bit in size. Luckily I found a good guide to them:
Falcon Pipes #1 Guide [Infograph] - Create a 7-day set - TobaccoPipes.com
Thanks for the info! May have to get one!

View attachment 160417
I've a bent. It clenches fine for me with a silicon softy bit. Falcon sells "Dry Rings" for the condensation:
001-545-0572.7324.jpg

001-545-0572_1.2405.jpg

I make my own by cutting up a pipe cleaner and bending them into the right shape.