PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I can't think of a more unnecessary item
Well, the guy who designed the original pouch (whose templates I purchased and have now modified) suggested his tin pouches could be used for bushcraft. I don't do bushcraft, but I've seen the pocket survival packs at Cabelas, and I think their contents could fit in a 2 oz oblong tin.

To be honest, for me it's not very useful, as I don't carry tobacco around: I just pack the pipe at home. However, to be entirely honest, I guess it wasn't an entirely useless project: I was also testing some modifications to the original design, which uses a one-piece gusset, which is the one I used for my first pouch:

Since the leather is all the same thickness (I don't have a splitter or paring machine yet), you can see how the gusset deforms the front (and back) plates. So I was testing a few modifications for my Canadian pipe-sized Mark II pouch—now I'm using a three-piece gusset. :) I wanna have something better looking than that navy blue one before I mass market them.

It is a great idea that needs a little adjustment. I would use the finest Lamb skin so it is buttery soft. I would then attach a lanyard so we can wear them proudly around our necks.
Idea noted, Harris. Thanks! Project added to my list. I am actually expecting some French chevre in the mail. ?

Add slots for a belt on the back, and it doubles as a cell phone holder.
It actually has a belt plate on the back. Too thick for a phone, but it could be thinned down.

Thanks for the comments, mates. They do help zone in my focus.
:col:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think it's a great idea and could do other things like a round tin case, pipe holster, pipe cleaner pouch, etc etc.
you could have a "pipe duty belt" lol

• Haha
Reactions: jpmcwjr and olkofri

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Well, now that begs a question I've been wanting to ask of members here: if you have a vertical pouch, how do you put your pipe into: bowl down or mouthpiece down?
I don’t yet have a vertical pouch, but I’d imagine it would have to be bowl down. I suppose it depends on where there is more space for the bowl.

If you’ve got all sorts of stuff jangling around the bottom, maybe bowl up makes more sense. But who wants all sorts of stuff jangling around down there?

Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't have a vertical pouch either, but the way I've been using the socks is bowl down, mostly because I don't want to spill the contents of said bowl when I have to put the pipe away half-smoked, even with the windcap on I don't wanna risk making a mess. I let this personal modus operandi determine the way I designed the vertical pouch –hence all the sleeves for lighter and tamper are stitched atop. Still, when you're designing stuff for others it's their MO that should guide the design.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.