PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Attempted to order a Taylor's Eyewitness Hardwood Barlow from the UK. Tracking went weird and when questioned, customer service sent this reply. First I've heard of anything like this. Has anyone else? I've definitely heard of restrictions on certain species etc. If this is true, does this mean overseas pipe orders will start getting sent back?

Not sure if this is the proper category for this post. Screenshot_20211213-203547.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
They're getting tougher. Russia has some gifted artists who work in wood. Back in the day what I brought back to Alaska only had to be long dead and very dry. But, bugs and diseases were still getting in so, I'd bet they've tightened up the import rules. Can't speak to pipes. Was the handle on the knife raw wood? I'd suggest you query US Customs for a definitive answer to your question.

That is very weird. I have a buddy who imports shells, bones, antlers and such used in jewelry, and he has to deal with constantly shifting import regs, not only with customs but Fish and Wildlife. This is not only at the border points, but if he gets pulled over for traffic stops, he has to produce papers and sometimes get inspected again. But, he has a big modified bread truck that he sleeps in while traveling from jeweler to bead shop to jeweler, so he kind of raises eyebrows.

I guess there may be issues with timber diseases at the moment or something. That sucks. I hope it gets panned out.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Had an estate pipe delivered via SP EU in October, another from a carver in Spain just a couple of weeks ago but my 4AB from SP EU isn't updating - I think that's because it came AN Post from Ireland and that's just the way it is - last seen at Heathrow four days ago. It's allegedly in the U.S. somewhere but nobody has logged it in and I had pledged not to worry for at least two weeks. Looking at as current of regs as I can find, it really shouldn't be an issue unless the exporter hadn't taken care of business with paperwork, etc. or someone who doesn't know what they are doing goofs and rejects it for whatever reason (which apparently can happen, just never thought about it until I read this thread). Worrying now triggered, lol. Guess kids over here are lucky Santa bypasses customs.

Reactions: Briar Lee

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Pipes are, under the current FDA deeming, "delivery devices" for nicotine, just like a vape pen, etc. So technically, unless they are shipped with some sort of FDA clearance, they can be stopped at the border. Wood items that are finished usually are no issue of themselves, but any raw/unprocessed wood can be tricky (which is why getting loads of briar into any particular country can be a lot of fun). But it seems like things are just really weird and random at the border these days, lots of parcels from lots of countries just being returned for no reason or dubious reasons ("incorrect address" etc). It's super scary if you need to mail pipes into the States to make your living right now.

Reactions: captainsousie

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Lousy G’damned Bulls
The bulls are everywhere.

15 points to whoever identifies the source of that quote.

As for wood imports:
Every Ash tree east of the Rockies will be dead within 5 years because of a parasitic insect (the Emerald Ash Borer) that came in from Asia in some improperly treated pallets. That’s 75% of the trees on my 5 acre wooded property.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lousy G’damned Bulls
The bulls are everywhere.

15 points to whoever identifies the source of that quote.

As for wood imports:
Every Ash tree east of the Rockies will be dead within 5 years because of a parasitic insect (the Emerald Ash Borer) that came in from Asia in some improperly treated pallets. That’s 75% of the trees on my 5 acre wooded property.
We have a problem with those F'ing Japanese Beetles.

Reactions: woodsroad

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Anyone know if this ALL WOOD, or just certain types for certain applications? Bc I’ve been on the phone with a first responder friend this morning helping organize some relief efforts for the KY tornados, and one of the biggest needs right now is money for repairs, tools, and materials. We’ve got a couple churches from here to Alabama organizing to provide Lowe’s and Home Depot gift cards. But several communities are going to need various wood building products for repairs while they’re waiting for insurances to sort things out and get rebuilding.

Anyone know if this ALL WOOD, or just certain types for certain applications? Bc I’ve been on the phone with a first responder friend this morning helping organize some relief efforts for the KY tornados, and one of the biggest needs right now is money for repairs, tools, and materials. We’ve got a couple churches from here to Alabama organizing to provide Lowe’s and Home Depot gift cards. But several communities are going to need various wood building products for repairs while they’re waiting for insurances to sort things out and get rebuilding.
We've still got houses in our neighborhood covered in tarps from the tornado that came through last summer. They were insured.... but... in-sur-ance... compan-ies... move... as... fast... as...

Reactions: JOHN72 and dctune