PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
OK- maybe that's overstated a little, but I have $1,600 worth of the finest briar from the Calabria region that has been sitting in Customs since May 25. I know my guy sent it with the proper EU certificates.
Does any one have any insight on how to check a status? It seems like Customs is a black hole from which the package eventually emerges or if there's a problem, they'll notify you by mail.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The shipper should have an export certificate as anything from Greater Germany, I mean the EU has to have one. On the bottom of the certificate is a 12 digit number which should tell where it is in the EU postal system. I hope that is of some help otherwise contact the shipper and then work your way through the bureaucracy that seems to proliferate throughout Greater Germany!

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
I had a package held up by customs and as I was trying to figure out what was going on it just showed up. I also couldn't get any info just like you.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@condorlover- Yep- I have the number. It tracked fine with EMS in Italy and I can now see that it's on the USPS radar, but it's showing stuck in Customs...

Try having $40,000 in uncut Australian opal rough held up for nine months, and I didn't get notification and had no idea which country was holding it. Or if it was stolen in transit. And, I had rough rubies lost in the mail, probably stolen coming right out of Burma. This has happened to me quite a bit. I've only had this turn out to be the US customs fault once. My vendors had to provide all sorts of proof of compliance with international laws regarding mining and such. I now use a carrier company that drops my stones off in a Florida Customs office and I drive down and get them. Yeh, it's a pain in the neck, and drives up the cost of doing business, but... what do we do? I went through twelve years of gambling on shipping rocks like this, always feeling like I was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy at the discretion of some half-wit agent in some country that I can't even communicate with.
I feel your pain.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Finally cleared! A couple of days until happiness!
May 31, 2014 , 1:59 am

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
JAMAICA, NY 11430

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
zack24, that probably stressed you. However, you have the satisfaction of having time on your side. While

customs was diddling around the briar was ... AGING!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I used to work for a federal agency that did research, and we would occasionally attend meetings outside the

U.S. In order to ship our meeting publications, we would hire what was called (maybe) a customs broker.

This was an intermediary to get the publications through customs in time for the meeting. I think they were

paid some percent of the value of the shipment. It seemed like a shakedown, but otherwise the publications

would have disappeared into the miasma and never have been seen again.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Any shipment that exceeds 100$ is automatically sent for customs processing, the package is opened and inspected. So a total of 5 days in customs really isn't that bad.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
hey, it's the government we're talking about, here ... the same folks who run the VA, the IRS, TSA. provide security for foreign embassies and soon to be administering health care ...

Status
Not open for further replies.