PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Well, look at that! Some good news!
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-07/tobacco-health-warning-labels-blocked-by-u-s-judge-on-free-speech-grounds.html

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Wow - what a rare piece of common sense! Here in the UK, tobacco products have to give one third of the pack space over to government warning. Most carry "Smoking Kills" along with either a picture of a cancer ridden lung or similar. Considering we also get charged around $16 for 2oz of pipe tobacco I might have to move soon!

Jul 15, 2011
Now if they can keep the FDA out of our damn humidors and keep pipe tobacco reasonably priced, Id be a happy camper.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's one district court. And as much as I dislike this far-out anti-tobacco stuff, the idea that corporations have free speech rights disturbs me even more.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Best part for me :
"“While the line between the constitutionally permissible dissemination of factual information and the impermissible expropriation of a company’s advertising space for government advocacy can be frustratingly blurry,"
Now what a minute. .. I would bloody well think such blatant propoganda is hardly ---
"here -- where these emotion-provoking images are coupled with text extolling consumers to call the phone number ‘1-800-QUIT’ -- the line seems quite clear,” Leon said in his ruling."
Ohhh. .. . Right then.

Status
Not open for further replies.