PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I've noticed that all too frequently sellers on Ebay picture their pipes with the stem mounted upside down. This seems very strange. Are the sellers just too ignorant about pipes to know what they are doing, or is there some reason they do this? It would seem obvious that many of these (if not all) could never be smoked like that. Anybody have a clue why this is done. It seems to me that this would turn more buyers off than attract. Here's a picture of one.

upsidedownmount_zps13c98200.jpg

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I've noticed that quite often myself! But I like it because you might get a good deal if the seller doesn't know what they have!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I know what you mean, dlattin. I've seen a lot of pictures with upside down stems.
However I think the pipe shown is SUPPOSED to have its stem inverted. Otherwise the bowl would facing too forward and the ash would dump in your lap. I've seen novelty pipes like this one before.
But you're point is a good one.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
The shape of pipe shown is a hawk bill, and the stem is upside down.
Ace57, that is a good idea, I never thought of demonstratings the stem's condition by showing it upside down.
anthony

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Thanks for the confirmation olewaylon. I was beginning to doubt whether I had posted a good example. Whenever I see this I don't look any further at the pipe in question. The way I see it is that if the seller can't even put the pipe together correctly for a picture he probably can't accurately describe it, or it's condition as well.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
That to me that's just an ugly pipe no matter how the stem is turned..If someone doesn't know which way a stem should be in a pipe he probably doesn't know enough about pipes to be selling them,and I would hesitate to buy from him.Anyway I've never bought a pipe that I didn't hold in my hand and inspect first,but then I earned a living for many years as an inspector so it's second nature to me.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"The shape of pipe shown is a hawk bill"
I gotta disagree, Acme. At least slightly.
If you look at this hawkbill, you'll see how the shank opens perpendicular to the bowl; it's almost a perfect 90 degree angle.

rinaldo-15_zps9f166738.jpg

The OP shows the shank opening at an oblique angle to the bowl. Add to that a bit with a strong bend itself, and you'd have an almost 180 degree angle from the bowl to the end of the bit if it was flipped around.
I really think this pipe was made to be this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.