PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there folks. In the process of helping build out my wife's craft room I've pillaged er, re-purposed, some furniture and added it to my little corner of the basement. Extra storage and about ten more linear feet of desk space is mighty handy. Here is a shot of how the space looks now.
PRuss' Pipe Cave

It aint much, but it's plenty good for me. I can listen to music, or the game, and have multiple pipes in different phases of clean-up going at the same time.
Now all I need is a fridge, and I'm good to go.
-- Pat

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Looks like a great hideout! I have a man cave myself, but being that I'm a renter, I can't smoke in mine. It really sucks not being able to smoke in the house! I can smoke in my basement, but it's kinda crowded. I'm relegated to the great outdoors as of now.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've got a fridge if you really are looking for one, now for the big qquestion, are you able to smoke there?

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Looks mighty nice, Pat! At the moment, I'm stuck in the garage. Now, I like the garage, but better climate control would be a huge plus.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I've got a fridge if you really are looking for one, now for the big qquestion, are you able to smoke there?
That's a negative. I can't do it. I went smoke-free indoors years ago, and like life SO much better having made that transition. Further, the Pipe Cave is about five to fifteen feet away from the furnace, so it wouldn't take long for smoke to be transported all over the house. I don't mind smoking outside, even in winter. It's a good excuse for a jaunt down to the lake. Thanks for the fridge offer. Lemme think on it. Power is my primary issue. I only have one circuit running in the basement right now.
-- Pat

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
No problem let me know, it's free, you just need to help me get it out of my basement and into yours. My brother-in-law is an electrician so I may be able to help there as well. It's your is you want it and good shape.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@petes03 & @pipingruotsi Thanks for the comments gents. It's making me happy. I don't mind the smoking outdoors thing, but I can see how changing up garage for basement would be preferable, I couldn't handle buffing with gloves on... I'd probably catch a bowl in the head.
-- Pat

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wish I had as much room in my basement shop as you have! I have the share the room with the washer and dryer! The rest of the basement has useless stuff in it such as a bedroom,pool table,tv etc. that I can't talk the wife into letting me get rid of! She does let me hang my Grabow display on one wall though.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My man cave is a detached garage. Yours looks much more comfortable. I would suggest some paneling. Even the sight of insulation makes me itch.
Winton

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I wish I had as much room in my basement shop as you have! I have the share the room with the washer and dryer!
I hear you ejames. I think that your set-up is my future. We're working our way from top to bottom with upgrades and reno work in the house. So as we get to the basement, and I want to build my sanctuary, I'll need to contain this space a bit. I also have plans to move the washer and dryer to the basement from the main floor, so my future Pipe Cave is likely to be a wet room.
My unfinished basement is my workspace.
That's exactly my situation Sam. It's lovely in summer, where it's nice and cool, and in winter when the proximity to the furnace pays dividends. Having tunes down there makes ALL the difference though. Playoff baseball (someone else's teams unfortunately) on am radio anyone? Love it!
I would suggest some paneling. Even the sight of insulation makes me itch.
Ha! Winton, that's hilarious. I'm actually happy with the pink-bats and the vapour barrier. It serves as an awesome back-stop for when I lose control of a bowl and the wheel chucks it at the wall. 8)
Thanks for all your comments gang. I'm happy, and loving the space for now. I'm sure that there will be more improvements down the road.
-- Pat

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I commend you for the basement clean-up effort. The reward of a space of your own has inspired me.
My basement is full of 43 years of "stuff". At one time we went down there with the idea of cleaning it out, after 5 minutes my wife looked at me and said, "I have a great idea. Let's go watch a movie and when we die the kids can take care of this." The movie was a good one.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I commend you for the basement clean-up effort. The reward of a space of your own has inspired me.
Good luck with your clean up plateauguy. It is always an event for me to get started on a job like this, but once I get going it's all about getting through to the end. Loving the end result is always a happy reward.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks Mike. It's coming along, that's for sure.
You may want to rethink that. If y'all are planning to stay in that house, having the washer & dryer in the basement can be a PITA as you age
I hear that Roth. I don't think we'll be retiring in this house, and our neighbourhood is designed for the young family. Watching the movement of families in the neighbourhood, it seems like every family moving out has kids in university, and every family moving in is like us, young(ish) and approaching parenthood or already with younf families.
Right now the washer and drawer live in a small mud room which connects the garage with our kitchen. With the washer and dryer in that room, there is only 12(ish) square feet of floor space; and both the garage door and kitchen door open into the "room". :crazy: This has lead to numerous comical collisions and, to date, no permanent injury. Our intent is to drop a pocket door in to replace the kitchen door, and put a pantry into that room, once we've relocated the washer and dryer to a basement laundry/utility/craft room. I'm tempting fate by saying this, but I have two probable locations for a laundry chute. Cross your fingers for me.
-- Pat

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
That is one sweet Man Cave. I am a bit Envious as I rent and have no area to call my own. Alas I am relegated to the outdoors or my jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.