PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhand45

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
The guys I've known who've growing rustica haven't given especially flattering reviews of its flavour. Most seem to think it goes down better as a chew or snuff

Reactions: kurtbob

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The guys I've known who've growing rustica haven't given especially flattering reviews of its flavour. Most seem to think it goes down better as a chew or snuff
I believe that Per said that the rustica is stoved and/or steam pressed to improve the flavor and smooth it out. I’ll have to listen to the podcast again to recall what he said.

Given the other HH blends I expect they’ve done things right. I don’t need more tobacco but I’ll give this one a try.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Realy looking forward to trying this. But having my doubts on me being able to handle it. I love the flavor of Bold Kentucky but the nicotine hits me before first 1/4 is done so its rarly my first choice.

This German site has some more info on it. Google translate,

"The Nicotiana Rustica is the sister of the tobacco plant that we know and love (Nicotiana Tabacum). Native to the Amazon region and other parts of South America, the plant and the various types of use spread throughout the American continent. The English settlers found the rustica tobacco in North America in 1607 and saw how the native Indians smoked the tobacco in clay pipes.

Since the nicotine content of the rustic plant is unusually high, however, it quickly went out of fashion when the Virginia and Burley tobaccos known today were discovered and spread. Today, tobacco on a rustic basis can only be found in Eastern Europe, the countries of the Middle East and Asia.

A new process was developed to make this very potent tobacco edible for the German palate. The tobacco leaves are sun dried and thus retain their natural sugar. Dark Virginia and Burley were also added to balance the flake. Like all flakes of the HH series, the Rustica was also hot pressed, which allows the tobacco flavors to combine optimally and to mature through a light fermentation.

Despite all these measures, the HH Rustica still has a very high nicotine content, it is by far the strongest tobacco in the Mac Baren range and is probably one of the strongest pipe tobacco worldwide. We recommend that you eat well and use a small pipe before enjoying this flake, but don't be put off; the Mac Baren HH Rustica is probably the most extraordinary tobacco of recent years and an absolute pleasure experience."

Found a review on youtube aswell, its in German though,

Status
Not open for further replies.