PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
I love contrasts in tastes.

One of my favorite breakfasts is hearty brown toast, buttered and layered with marmalade and topped with a soft- boiled egg, well salted! Delicious.

I appreciate the Thai proclivity to adding peanut sauce to chicken, my local pizza place puts avocado on pizza, and God bless the man (or pregnant woman) who invented bacon caramelized in maple syrup.

Right now I'm puffing a combo I just made of Captain Black Dark and PS Luxury Twist. Delightful.

I recognize that there is an industry out there that is creating amazing blends and tastes, but I'm working with a limited selection of tobaccos and toying with what flavors I can get by mixing some pretty common tastes, especially when they offset each other.

Anyone else have any odd "I wouldn't think those would go together" recipes to share?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Super Value Peach with a small amount of Latakia is one of my favorites. Don’t even recall how the idea occurred to me but I’ve enjoyed it for years now. Not an intuitive combination.

Holger Danske Mango, which is called something else now... but I bought a tin of this when I first started smoking pipes, (before I knew that there were adult tobaccos available also) and it set in my cellar for about five years before I decided to mess round with it. So, I mixed this 50-50 with PS Dark Fired Kentucky, and BAM! so much better. But, I probably won't buy anymore of the Mango fruity stuff. It made it palatable, but it wasn't THAT good. Ha ha.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I get creative with mixing tobaccos -- not really blending, no pressure, no stoving -- I make just a few bowls. Even if it is wonderful, I don't try to replicate it in quantity, and if it isn't good, I can trash it without compunction.

Reactions: JOHN72 and stogie37

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
For a few years, I was forcing my way through tins/samples of tobaccos I really didn't care for, trying to "give them a chance." I kept thinking Royal Yacht, for instance, would grow on me. Never did. I could never get to the bottom of the tin... I liked Nightcap a little better, but not much. I had a pinch of Big n Burley I never managed to finish, another pinch of Jacknife plug.

One day while browsing tobaccos I read about "Grand Croupier"--supposedly the bits and ends of many different blends mixed up and sold at a discount. I thought, why not? I stared mixing up all of my own bits and ends mentioned above, as well as other things. Was it good? Not especially, but no lie I did enjoy it more than most of the components.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Mar 1, 2014
I would create a vast quantity of unsmokable tobacco so I don't do it.
As long as you keep the blends within the same genre it isn't that hard. As long as you know that you like every individual component going into a blend then combining high quality components will practically always have a good result.

Just about any blend out there can benefit from an extra dose of mature Virginia.

Reactions: kcghost