PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Title edited for caps. Rule 9. I have a few. Just need to find a round tuit.

Who else has unsmoked pipes in their collection?
I think I have almost as many unsmoked as are in regular rotation. Most of them are Ser Jacopo’s that I paid decent money for. I’m not considering selling these, yet if I did I would think they would hold higher value if in new condition.
If I’m honest this is what’s keeping me from loading ‘‘em up.
Can anyone relate to this mental hurdle that’s preventing me from enjoying them other than just looking at them?

Last edited by a moderator:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have only a few unsmoked pipes and that’s just because I haven’t gotten around to them yet. I think maybe five recent purchases? They will be smoked whenever I get around to it. Seems like the pipe carver would be sad to know their efforts weren’t being fully appreciated.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I’ve never bought a pipe and not smoked it the same day I received it. Pipes are beautiful and I would understand the inclination to keep a few as a display piece. However in your case I can’t relate as you do plan on smoking them but are hesitating for whatever reason. Maybe in your subconscious there’s something about them you don’t like so you want them unsmoked/easier to sell? I say load em up and smoke em. If you want to sell them I’m sure you’ll still get good money for them as a private seller as opposed to trading them in.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
If you live long enough, say 60 more years, then they might be worth more than they are now, but I wouldn't abstain from smoking a pipe because I want it to stay in NOS condition.

IMHO, a pipe needs to be smoked. It was thought out and created to be smoked.
If you don't smoke from it, your doing it an injustice... it can't become what it was meant to be...

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Who else has unsmoked pipes in their collection?
I think I have almost as many unsmoked as are in regular rotation. Most of them are Ser Jacopo’s that I paid decent money for. I’m not considering selling these, yet if I did I would think they would hold higher value if in new condition.
If I’m honest this is what’s keeping me from loading ‘‘em up.
Can anyone relate to this mental hurdle that’s preventing me from enjoying them other than just looking at them?
Sell them here and eliminate the problem.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Until about 10 minutes ago I did!

This post reminded me a NOS Kaywoodie caught my eye in the SP estates a few months ago, so I went and found it and holy cow what a nice draw and easy smoking pipe - again, asking myself why I have more expensive or even very many other pipes, haha.

3AC39AA9-339F-49AF-B4F1-B8021AD8E3ED.jpeg

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Until about 10 minutes ago I did!

This post reminded me a NOS Kaywoodie caught my eye in the SP estates a few months ago, so I went and found it and holy cow what a nice draw and easy smoking pipe - again, asking myself why I have more expensive or even very many other pipes, haha.

View attachment 207292
I ask myself the same thing everytime l smoke a cob.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have a number of older pipes that have survived unsmoked in original packaging and are more interesting because they’re like little time capsules, in the condition they were when first issued so many years ago. They’re a lot more interesting and rare that way—smoking them will just turn them into used pipes, nothing special. There are plenty of pipes that can be smoked instead, or the same model that is not pristine can be gotten and smoked instead if need be.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have 3 new unsmoked pipes. One Is a cob that is a backup. One is a Kaywoodie I traded a for a different Kaywoodie, and one is a Meer. Both arrived after I purchased my altinay, that I've dedicated an entire year to. So in December I will be firing both of those up. Probably not at the same time though.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I have only a few unsmoked pipes and that’s just because I haven’t gotten around to them yet. I think maybe five recent purchases? They will be smoked whenever I get around to it. Seems like the pipe carver would be sad to know their efforts weren’t being fully appreciated.
Same here. The only unsmoked pipes I have are recent estate buys that I haven't cleaned up yet. I smoke all of my pipes.

Reactions: kcghost and Deano

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I can understand the OP perfectly. When I joined this forum, I had baskets, cobs, kaywoodies and Grabow’s and I thought nothing about collecting pipes.

Then… it began. I’m building a 7 day set of BBB’s. I have five. I’ll likely do the same with GBD. I’ve already done so with old factory Stanwells and honestly, I just don’t get around to smoking them. I will eventually. That’s a certainty. But I get the OP.

That part of this I’ll call a hobby.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I have a couple of back up cobs I haven't smoked yet, but anything serious I buy is getting smoked early and often.

Reactions: kcghost